THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Preview: Barsness Positive on Serengeti & MRC

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preview: Barsness Positive on Serengeti & MRC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys, don't know how many of you are active on 24-Hour Campfire?? I thought this preview of a John Barsness article in Rifle Magazine might be of interest to some of you??

The rifles he was testing are Serengeti "stock models", built on MRC actions and barrels.

24-Hour Campfire Serengeti & MRC Posting

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
How could it be any other way?

AD

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I recently finished a stock I bought from Serengeti. I ordered their "Fully-Inletted, Fully-Shaped Precision-Fit Stock" and it was pretty much as advertised. After I applied the finish I sent it back to be checkered. I was very pleased all the way around and reccomend them highly It's a Win classic/Douglas barreled '06 that will be a gift for my brother-in-law. I also got a peak at their actions and the work they do is a huge improvement over the MRC in it's stock form. The casting marks on my MRC are just to much, not knocking it, the price was right. I'm having my first real custom rifle built on it now and can't wait. Here's a not so good pic of the '06. One day a good digital camera is in my future. Untill then I use the camera from work.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks great, I'm leaning toward them to fit a stock to a pre-64 Winchester model 70 in 458 Win....What grade and stock design is yours and what was the price for the work?.....A check through their web site with a grade 1 came to about $600

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Nice, Dempsey! Why does my brother-in-law (if I had one) never think of presenting me with nice toys like this?
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Allen,

My American Rifleman arrived this week with a Wiley Clapp cover article extolling the Springfield SOCOM 16 variant of their M-1a.

He did allow that the rail mount for the scope sight and the iron sights produced very different lines of sight and the shooter would have to do somethig like add an additional cheekpiece and put in a folding front sight -- described as minor criticisms.

One thing I really like about writing for African Hunter is they are more than willilng to call a spade an ugly shovel.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
srt

I can't remember of the top off my head what I paid for the stock, it was in the ballpark of your fiqure. The checkering was $150 and a bargain IMO. It's a Leopard in AA Bastogne. Iniatially I went up there and picked out a blank, some signals got crossed and the blank I picked out was cut to a MRC, not a M70. I was told they had a blank that probably looked better and they cut that one for me and it looks great IMO. I think this blank might generally be graded a little higher by them and they were making the customer happy. It does have a slight repair so maybe that graded it down. Either way, I'm happy with it and them.

mho, my brother in law is more like a nephew with the age difference. I like to get the nephews a rifle for a graduation present as they hit that age. Not having kids of my own yet I spoil them a bit. They enjoy getting one almost as much as I do giving it to them. They're good kids. It's also a bribe to drag out all my game when I'm old and gray.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful piece of wood. I was looking at the Merlin for the 458, but the Leopard sure looks good. I talked to the folks at Serengeti and will be sending my barreled action to them.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
any you guys got a good looking sister, I'd make a great brother inlaw to give gun to.........but my wife may have something to say about that, oh well, it was just a thought that came to mind.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote