New
Find
Notify
Tools

What front sight?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I dont know if this is the correct forum, but I assume someone knows the answer.
I want to exchange the front sight on my Ruger No 1, and I dont know the measurement of the slot. Is it a 3/32 or 5/64 or what? I would like the height to be approximately 8 mm high, which NECG would fit that description?
Thanks for answers.
Magnus.

Posts: 168 | Location: North of the Arctic circle,in Sweden | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
They do not interchange but it is pretty common for people to mill their Rugers to accept NECG inserts. Cheap job; a lot of smiths already have the cutter. If not in your area, it is available from Brownell's.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks Tiggertate! So I have to either mill it to take other inserts, or buy Rugers stuff? Does Ruger have any good sights? I am not too impressed with the original, sad to say...

Posts: 168 | Location: North of the Arctic circle,in Sweden | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen their current offerings but they used to have some variety in aftermarket inserts. Not as complete as NECG.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
This is the NECG site I ordered for my No. 1 Tropical.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

(Edit-For some reason I can only link the home page, go to "Front Sights" then to "Beads for Ruger Rifle", at the bottom of that page is the instruction to measure height. The site I ordered is the first one on the top. Click the "Purchase Button" and you can select the height.)

All that was required to install it was very slight shaping with a file (I mean very slight) and cutting about 1/8 off the front of the at the notch. Installation took 5 minutes.

I bought the 3/32 white bead along with the Masterpiece rear and love the sight picture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks alot Mike and tiggertate! I think my problem is solved, thanks to you and AR.

Magnus