THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shortening the LOP on a Syn stock..... How ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My daughter wants to shoot some small bore silhouette so I cut off an CZ 452 American to shorten the LOP for her short arms. The rifle now fits but is still too heavy for her to hold for a silhouette match.

I have a synthetic stocked model called a Style that seems to be a weight that she can manage. But its too long of a LOP.

Question is has anyone done a sucessfull shortenning of a cheap plastic "tupperware" stock.

Tell me how.

Is the stock hollow? I think it may be foam filled.

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I cut down a Savage synthetic for my wife with a hacksaw.

Place tape around the stock where you intend to cut it and just saw through it. The foam will not be an impediment.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Ray,

Yes the stocks are hollow. After you cut the stock, you will need to re-attach a recoil pad. Some folks prefer to simply glue a recoil pad to the stock while others like to have them, removeable/replaceable.

Some synthetic stocks have built in ribs, top and bottom, which can be drilled to attach a recoil pad, while others require a wood block be epoxied in place and the pad screwed to this.

If appropriate ribs are not present, then I prefer to install a wood block and attach the pads in the conventional manner with screws. I use old cut off pieces of butt stocks for this. Grind them down to just fit inside the stock, and then glue them in place. If there is foam present, no problem, I hollow this out so the block will fit. Once the wood block has set, then I will square and prep the stock for the pad...

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses.

Good Idea Malm. Thats the way I'll approach it. I like the wood block method which gives a good solid base to the pad or plate. I was off trying to figure out how to glue the pad to the foam.

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote