New
Find
Notify
Tools

recoil pad &mercury reducers
 Login/Join

<cougarhunting>
posted
A friend of mine wants me to put a recoil pad on his 338 to help with the kick a little he doesnt want to go with a muzzle brake. What kind of pad would you guys recomend also I have heard about mercury recoil reducers have any of you guys tried them, do they work very well
thanks for any in put

[ 01-18-2003, 02:58: Message edited by: cougarhunting ]

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
For a .338 you won't need Mercury recoil reducers all you need is a good Pachmeyer tripple X magnum pad. This is truly the best at soaking up recoil. -Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<BC hunter>
posted
Tell your buddy to try a PAST recoil shield. You where this under your jacket or shirt,like a shoulder holster. It absorbs at least 50% of the kick that causes pain. You dont have to grind rubber to make a gun butt recoil pad fit. Your gun stays original as well. Its great for the shooting range or for trap shooting,and will work for hunting equally as well.

<cougarhunting>
posted
Hey thanks for the input you guys on the 338 I will put on the triple x pad but for his 375 and shotguns he wants to give that past recoil shield a try I will do a search and see if i can find one

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kick Eez and the Pachmayr Deccelerator pads are better looking and better performing than any other pad on the market, bar none.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
a 338 has recoil?

[Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

past shield does wonders, get the mag one...

I like kickeez pads, esp, the 302 series... but it's SOFT and will TEAR...

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<John Lewis>
posted
The triple magnum pad does work well but boy is it ugly. I try to never use them, a man has to draw the line somewhere. I like the Decelerators best. I've found that an equal amount of lead weight works about as good as mercury tubes for a rifle. The PAST pads are wonderful.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pachmayr DECELERATOR pad is the best compromise of all worlds. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Past recoil pads were mentioned here, how do they attach to your clothing are they removeable and were can you buy them from ??

[ 01-19-2003, 01:27: Message edited by: PC ]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
PC,
they are on a shoulder harness thing... you put your shooting arm through it, and at wraps around your chest... i wound up giving mine to my bro in law after his shoulder surgery...
jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,

Past recoil pads are for sissy boys [Wink] . Since you got the biggest of bigger bore, you should use no pad at all. Have fun.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a gun kicks too much then a brake is the only way to go IMHO....mercury reducers just add weight and through everything out of balance..Recoil pads give the gun a running start at your shoulder according to J. Belk and I tend to agree....

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
If a gun kicks too much then a brake is the only way to go IMHO....mercury reducers just add weight and through everything out of balance..Recoil pads give the gun a running start at your shoulder according to J. Belk and I tend to agree....

Ray,
I hate to disagree with you,a s you are far my adept at this than me, but pads are better than a steel "pad"... and a past "recoil shield" helps.. I've shot em, and the recoil "goes away"... turns a 7mag into a 22, and a 416 into a 7mag..

jeffe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A recoil pad and the mercury gizmos end up doing pretty much the same thing but in a different manner. They both spread the recoil over time. A steel butt plate hits you right now ( and hard), while the pad take the time to compress before it transfers all the energy to your shoulder. A mercury recoil reducer using transers some of that energy to the mercury and then after the initial compression of the pad the mercury has to then move to the rear to transfer that portion that is stored in its mass. Somewhat like the no bounce hammers that have shot suspended in oil in the head.

The past recoil pad is nice to use at the range but it is not very thick and will not do what a pad will and is not something that you would wear hunting. Or at least I wouldn't.

They both work and work well. Jack and Ray have been sipping too much of that Idaho Spud Vodka together. [Big Grin]

[ 01-19-2003, 07:04: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course Ray is right about recoil pads -- why do you think stunt men prefer to fall off of three story buildings onto concrete instead of air pillows? And while you're at it, try welding the suspension up on your car and see how much easier it rides.

I do suspect that the greatest benefit of the mercury recoil reducer is in the added mass it gives the gun (and consequent slowing of recoil velocity), and not in any "delay" or "spread" of the recoil momentum (although there may be some). A mercury device in the buttstock can actually help balance a gun which has a heavy barrel (but then, if the barrel is that heavy, you probably don't need the extra weight for recoil reduction!)

But your friend's problem with a .338 is likely NOT in shooting in the field or from an offhand position, but rather from zeroing off of the bench. A few shots from a .338, or even lesser guns, off a bench can be punishing. He can either use a recoil-reducing rest, or can place a "sissy bag" (small bag of fine lead shot works well) between the butt and his shoulder for bench shooting.

The Past shoulder protector is fine, but it's an extremely expensive substitute for adhesive-backed feminine Maxi-Pads. If you're man enough to shoot a .338, then you're man enough to go into the store and buy them and then stare down any would-be critics when you use them at the range. (But if you're a real weeny, then steal one from your wife and place on your shoulder under your shirt before going to the range.) The Kimberly Clark corporation produces some of the finest and most affordable shooting accessories available, but it's a well-kept secret.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, You Da Man!!!

Posts: 51 | Location: Lakeland, Florida | Registered: 08 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,
I didn't say I was right, I only gave MY opinnion on such things, nothing more..It works for me and when it comes to recoil, my only concern is me. I'm not saying its right for everyone.

Most of my guns have a steel butt or a New England Arms (Silvers) pad that is hard as rock, most leather covered...

I hold a gun tightly to my shoulder...The only thing recoil wise that bothers me is when I get wacked in the cheek...My shoulder is like a piece of rawhide, but when held tightly the rifle will only push you back for the most part or at least until you get into the really big bores, then I will use a hard pad.

I am more concerned with handling qualities and balance and mercury reducers and even recoil pads effect that balance for me....

Chick, you wuss, we're sending you some Spud Vodka pain killer, then you can play with the big dogs [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a mercury recoil reducer in my ruger # 1 in 45-70. If I had loaded it sensibly I wouldnt have needed it, but it seemed a shame to have that much action and so little velocity. Anyway, the mercury tube did affect the balance of the ruger, but not to the point that I couldnt shoot it. It's a rifle, not a shotgun. And it definately dampened the felt recoil, however it did it. It also added about 8 oz. of weight also, but it really helped, especially on the bench. My thoughts.

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
E,
I don't understand "its a rifle not a shotgun", The balance on a DGR is more important than on a shotgun, it could concievably save your life with the ability to point shoot at close range...all a good pointing shotgun will do is save you from a mad dove.. [Big Grin] but I suppose that only applies to those who hunt dangerous game or jump shoot whitetail etc...I demand a rifle that points like an expensive shotgun and visa versa.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, balance IS important on a DGR, but my 45-70 didnt qualify as one. As in life , its all about trade-off's. The desire for a larger caliber requires a heavier gun, or more felt recoil. A muzzle brake reduces felt recoil at the cost of muzzle blast and asthetics. A mercury tube or weighted buttstock has the same effect but will affect balance. A recoil pad also reduces felt recoil but doesnt look as pleasing to some as to others. A heavier gun reduces felt recoil, but is a pain on a long hike.
Again, my thoughts.

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote