New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bloop tubes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a question for a project of mine.

I am making a .22 off hand rifle out of an old lowwall. But what I don't know is the minimum diameter for the expanded bloop bore for a .22. Many guns seem to have 1/2" bores for this purpose, but what is the minimum? Anyone knows what is needed?

Also, what is the best length for the rifled part? I've heard 14, 16, and 18" from different people. Because this will be a fixed bloop tube, I do not have to worry about the 14" minimum issue, but I do want to be able to get all the velocity I can out of some of the higher velocity cases for a specialized form of silhouette (out to 200 meters) and the occasional woodchuck event. Though mostly this gun will be using target ammo.

Thanks,
Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out Scott Medesha. I think thats how you spell his name. Lives in Apache Junction, Az if I remember right. There may even be a site.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My Winchester 52C silhoutte rifle has a 17.5" barrel with a 7.5" threaded muzzle weight bored 0.365" and shoots very well. I think you need close to 18" of barrel for max. velocity. I think the larger I.D. on a bloop tube is more to prevent muzzle heaviness when they are used for extending the sight radius with match sights. For offhand shooting they used to get the bullet out of a moving barrel sooner.

Posts: 14 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 11 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks coueshunter. Very helpful data.

muzzle, who the heck is Scott Medesha? I'm looking for one person in 6 billion here. Is he a smith or a shooter or a ballistician. Any of those would be good, but can you give me a bit of background so I don't sound too lost when I call him?

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tactical Advanced Weapons Systems
Apache Junction, AZ
Scott Medesha
vox: (480)986-5876
fax: (480)380-7331
email: mfltd@uswest.net

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott Medesha finally has his own website. He makes some of the best Space guns, here is a link. He carries bloop tubes in lengths of 4in all the way to 15" and clamps. Also you can get them anodized in almost any color.
David Tubb also produces a bloop tube, here. The problem you might run into is most premade bloop tubes are made for .750 diameter barrels or larger.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote