Find
Notify
Tools

m 1895 rear sight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted
hello. a friend of mine has a winchester model 1895 in 405 winchester. he hates the buckhorn rear sight and wants to replace it with a leaf sight similar to what you'd find on a safari rifle. there was a guy on here a few years back that had one in a 408 or 416 hawk if i remember correctly. where can i find a sight that is dovetailed that would replace the buckhorn on his rifle?

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I may be the person with the rifle you are talking about. It's a 411 Hawk done by Z-Hat (Fred Zeglin) in Wyoming. The rifle was converted from an original chambering of 270 Winchester, so it was rebarreled. The rear sight base was a Dakota and sights were from NECG. I don't know of any that dovetail as a replacement for the original sight.

An aperature sight works very well though, if he should decide to go that route. If it is a new Miroku Winchester, the receiver will have to be drilled for Williams aperature. Not sure about the replica Lyman sights. I don't think the original Winchesters or the Miroku Brownings have to be drilled for the Williams.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Miroku Browning 1895s do have to be drilled for a receiver sight. In my opinion, the best two receiver sights for the new 1895s are the Williams or the Ashley. Based on the one I have seen, the Lyman is not as solid as the Williams or Ashley. My Browning rifle has a Williams.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
DPhillips-

yes you are the one I was thinking of. My buddy doesnt want the rear peep sight, he wants a leaf style sight like you have of your Hawk. any way of replacing the rear sight without having to get a new barrel?

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once worked on an 1895 that was custom chambered to a .375 wildcat. It had the NECG sights that one of the other members mentioned. You would just need to tap the barrel to fit it. It was a great sight system.

Good luck

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
Miroku Browning 1895s do have to be drilled for a receiver sight. In my opinion, the best two receiver sights for the new 1895s are the Williams or the Ashley. Based on the one I have seen, the Lyman is not as solid as the Williams or Ashley. My Browning rifle has a Williams.

Dave

The Browning Model 65's have to be drilled as well.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by byf42:
DPhillips-

yes you are the one I was thinking of. My buddy doesnt want the rear peep sight, he wants a leaf style sight like you have of your Hawk. any way of replacing the rear sight without having to get a new barrel?

I'm sure there is, if you can find a sight base that can be fitted to the barrel contour. NECG has a variety of rear sight bases/sights. I didn't see the quarter rib base, like mine, but there are some really nice island bases on their site.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

I'm sure there are other sources for quarter ribs, sight bases, including custom, just takes a little hunting to find what he's looking for.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote