THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IS there such a thing as not enough headspace?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Merkel 28 gauge SXS that will not chamber Federal ammo, the action will not quite close.. just wondering if this is not enought headspace on these rimmed shotgun chambers. I do find that win AAA and Remington fit fine.

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure sounds like you have insufficient headspace. You could:
A: Not shoot Federal Ammo
B: Have it reamed to SAMI specs.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think the issue is one of shell head diameter rather than headspace. That is set off the rim anyway in a shotgun. I shoot a Beretta 390 that takes a bit more sizing that the others for reloads, exhibits the same symptoms you describe.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like my very fine 45-70 which was chambered to use only Remington brass for accuracy.Any other brass will jamb before it gets more than half way in.I just use the right brass and keep the 1/2 MOA !!!

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Are you shooting reloads?

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mete,
I confused! I've never heard of a rifle (I assume your 45-70 is a rifle if you are gettin .5MOA accuracy with it) where only one brand of brass will chamber.
Do you size the brass at all when loading, or do you just prime, pour in powder, and shove a new bullet in?

one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of tightly cut target chambers well only take certain type of brass and even then some have to have the neck turned ect before they well chamber a round.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jlongo. the rifle is a Lone Star Rifle rolling block . Beautifully made but they are chambered specifically for Remington ammo for max accuracy.Other factory ammo will not chamber .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jameister,

The shotgun shell is headspaced on the rim. You might have a smith check the chamber length, it may be cut for 2 1/2" ammo if it is an older gun. 2 1/2" is the length of the case after it is opened. The 2 3/4" case is very near 2 1/2" loaded and might be a touch more and may be running up against the forcing cone of the chamber.

If it is a rim diameter or depth problem as someone surmised, try seeing if you can insert the case in backwards with the action open and see if the will bottom out and if the brass is fully seated.

BTW, isn't the 28 a joy to shoot? I purchased a Verona LX 692 20/28 gun with two sets of barrels and am having a ball with it. I have not tried Federal cases and have been using Remington STS and Win AA hs shells.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mete; My 28 ga will not quite shoot MOA, you must have an
exceptional one.
Good Luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The rims are too thick - don't use that brand! Don't change the gun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is with new in box factory loads.. course since the federals dont fit, and dont reload, I only reload remington and winchester hulls.

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was my conclusion.. I have had half a dozen merkel 28 gauge shotguns, and only this one has the problem with federal ammo... course it is also the one I shoot best with....

this is a recent built 147E so I know it has full length chambers...

I just thought it an interesting problem of not enough head...

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
I would be tough to measure with size 9 shot and a skeet choke.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jamieister,
It is seriously flawed. Send it to me and I will take very special care of it.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote