New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use of damascus on a custom-pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Chad Nichols made me a test piece of damascus to see if it might be suitable for floor plates, quarter ribs, and scope bases etc. below is a piece that Craigster blued. Opinions wanted.

This piece is 1" wide and .125 thick.
Hit me with your best shot.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
parallel or perpendicular?

I like it but I'm not sure about a floorplate if the grain runs across it.

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
richj,
This is just a sample. You can make a multitude of patterns. Chad is very talented making damascus.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neatly done, and damascus patterns can be made in an infinite range, the effect will always be there over time, and won't wear away like CCH does.

I like CCH if it is distributed moderately on a rifle- such as a floorplate, shroud, and perhaps rings- I'd have to say the same for this damascus.

What parts of the rifle do you think would be best for this treatment, in as far as what would you do to any particular rifle?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It can look great on quarter ribs and scope bases.

Blake

Posts: 132 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 22 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great Butch,

there are tons of patterns to choose from for different parts. I think a 4 bar turkish twist would make a floor plate look incredible.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damascus & Timascus is indeed suitable for an whole host of guns parts.
Harre offered that option a few yrs ago on his self made BA receivers & rifles.
parts IIRC,included; BMetal&follower,ButtPlate,GripCap,QDrings,barrel band,etc

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
In Tom Turpins book...Walnut and steel, there is a rifle pictured several times that has a quarter rib done up that way. Lets just say I'm indifferent about it, I like it and I dont like it. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Well I like it! tu2

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's lovely.... in a knife. I'm not fond of that kind of adornment on a rifle. It'd stand out like a turd in a punch bowl, not like a big diamond on a sleek fingered blonde.

Posts: 1316 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To my view the main problem will be rust prevention.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heavenknows,
It will be rust blued and the shiney part is nickel and I don't think nickel rusts.
Stokes, that's kinda what I think of color case. CCH looks ok sometimes.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Here you go:

Etching technique

Caspian

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good, richj. A mistake that I probably made was the closeup makes the pattern look awfully large. It really is a subtle pattern.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavenknows:
To my view the main problem will be rust prevention.

When properly cared for, the finished steel is no more rust prone than any other steels used in gunmaking.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
apologies for threadjack; a hornet double w/damacus receiver:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...081080611#2081080611

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch

I use to make several small parts out of Damascus, mostly for looks. I bought scrap pieces from a knife factory. I just etched/carded and applied a clear coat as on color case.
The only large builds was 1911's with Caspian slides. I might have a picture of these if you want. That has been over 10 years ago. Computer crash got about all of my pictures.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey Bradshaw, Chad said you should help pay for this. The turkish twist is $300 an inch for 1/8" material. He is going to do the 1/2" material for the same price. Said he was giving me the poor boys discount.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Twist rate is about right on that piece.

Looks to me as if the thickness of the starting materials was about the same. I'd suggest you try using a mix of carbon steel at 1/8" to 3/16" thick and nickel foil. Then run about twice to 4 times as many layers.

That mix will not require any etching to have high contrast when blued and the bright lines will be much thinner. Will be prettier I think.

If you cannot acquire nickel foil, you might try 1/4" carbon steel and 1/16" 15N20 or L6. Will give thinner bright lines but will require heavy etching before bluing.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I think you have hit on about what Chad recommended. As soon as he replies to my email, I will let you know.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Bailey Bradshaw, Chad said you should help pay for this. The turkish twist is $300 an inch for 1/8" material. He is going to do the 1/2" material for the same price. Said he was giving me the poor boys discount.
Butch

Well, tell Chad I am charging storage for the two blocks of steel he sent TWO YEARS AGO for an EDM job. I think the total is about.....$300 :-)

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote