Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 458 WM stock re-build
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
When I was getting ready for my current deployment I decided to bring something this time that would help the time go by and give me something enjoyable to do in my down time. So I packed up a box of misc. hand tools and finishing supplies as well as a few stocks I wanted to work over and packed them in my platoons shipping container. Let me tell you - bringing those stocks over are one of the best decision I have ever made. I can spend a little time working on a stock and completely unwind. Plus it is helping me get caught up on the stock projects that would have been waiting for me when I got back.

Well I finally finished the first stock. I actually had it finished twice before but was not satisfied with some of the details so I tore into it again.

I made the choice to keep the factory checkering and that limited me on what I could do to the stock. I think that even with those limitations it turned out well. I have to apologize for the poor photo quality. My lighting situation was not the best and I ended up with lots of glare spots in the photos.

Here is what I did to the stock:

Fitted an ebony tip - I was able to shorten the stocks OAL by about an inch in the process. The shape for the tip I copied from an express rifle I had some photos of.

Ebony grip cap - I would have preferred a steel one but in order to keep the checkering I had to use ebony due to its size and shape.

Added a bevel to the loading port.

Re-shaped the cheekpiece, added a shadow line, and thinned the cheekpiece - this was what I had the most difficult time with. It took me several attempts to get its size reduced and shaped to where I was satisfied.

Since the barrel is having a swivel base fitted to it I “plugged†the front swivel base hole and inlet the butt for a Winchester Super Grade swivel base.

I finished the stock with SeaFinn Teak Oil.

I also cleaned up the factory checkering – which is something I wont be doing again!!! Having a pro do that part is money well spent and not nearly as frustrating.

I learned a great amount doing this stock as well as well as completed one of my stock projects. Not to mention that it was a lot of fun to be able to do it while deployed.

I would appreciate any comments or criticisms you might have for me.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Looks good.

Take care over there.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Good job Bill. Brno 602 & CZ550 factory stocks can be made to look very nice with a rasp and sand paper.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote