THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Costings/advice in the US for a high end stainless synthetic custom

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Costings/advice in the US for a high end stainless synthetic custom
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wondered if you guys could give me some help. I'm considering a hunting rifle (with the ability to shoot well on the range and varmint a bit too) that would cost a fortune in the UK.

Specs would be:-

BR stainless repeater short action. (likely a Borden or a Nesika?)
24" 260 stainless barrel by Kreiger min SAAMI chamber.
Sunny hill bottom metal
Jewel
Pillar bedded McMillan (no carbon etc)
Talleys

Some questions:-

Reccomendations for a smith (with an export licence?)
Likely cost (Nesika want $4000, the UK importer want $5,400 for the same rifle and I want a lot less!)
Barrel profile for an all up weight of 8.5lbs
Can one get a Jewel to lock the bolt on safe?

A BR action is a perhaps a bit of a waste but I want quality and Jewell compatibility in a short action - any other suggestions?

Apologies to MHO who I've discussed this with before (and lost the e mail...) It's like a fever - recurrent!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
Specs would be:-

BR stainless repeater short action. (likely a Borden or a Nesika?)
24" 260 stainless barrel by Kreiger min SAAMI chamber.
Sunny hill bottom metal
Jewel
Pillar bedded McMillan (no carbon etc)
Talleys

Some questions:-

Reccomendations for a smith (with an export licence?)
Likely cost (Nesika want $4000, the UK importer want $5,400 for the same rifle and I want a lot less!)
Barrel profile for an all up weight of 8.5lbs
Can one get a Jewel to lock the bolt on safe?

A BR action is a perhaps a bit of a waste but I want quality and Jewell compatibility in a short action - any other suggestions?

Apologies to MHO who I've discussed this with before (and lost the e mail...) It's like a fever - recurrent!

No apologies required, dreams should live on and be discussed repeatedly!

I think both Borden and Nesika deliver their repeaters with bottom metal - i.e no need for bottom metal from another manufacturer, if you decide to go this route.

Cost: figure $900-1100 for a custom action (maybe more for a repeater?). With that action the rifle can be built by a top smith (like Mike Bryant) for about $15-1800 (including Jewell). Add $100 for mounts and $2-400 for export and shipping (using an independent exporter and FedEx, say). That leaves you at around $3500 - landed in the UK, without a scope, and before you pay UK import duties.

Alternatively, a M700 action can be had for around $400 and trueing the action increases the price of building the rifle (example Mike Bryant) with about $200. Then you might need an aftermarket bottom metal, another $200, say. So the M700 route is cheaper than the custom action option - maybe $3-3200 landed in the UK, but before scope and UK import duties, to stay with example from above.

Dan Lilja has a spreadsheet available for downloading, which will allow you to calculate barrel weights.

The Jewell trigger comes in two versions as far as the safety is concerned. One is a "traditional" side safety, the other option is a safety mounted inside the triggerguard. The trigger you'll be using will most likely be a Jewell for a M700 - that is what most custom actions are built to accept. On my M700 using a Jewell with a side safety, the bolt is not locked on safe. I also have a Jewell with the safety inside the trigger guard, but at the moment it escapes me if it locks the bolt down on safe - I'm doubtful, though?? For a hunting rifle, I would personally go with the side safety. Not least, because it will be close to the safeties you are used to. Varmint Guy likes the bottom safety, I personally find it more a reminder that the safety is on, but to each his own I guess.

Check with StuC (maybe he'll chime in on his own?) when it comes to independent exporters. He is currently doing an export, so can probably fill you in on details regarding company used, price and general feel of the entire process.

Did I understand you correctly, this rifle was going to be chambered in .260 Rem??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

260rem seems very flexible allthough factory availability is nil in the UK...

25-06 would suffice for UK only but a bit loud for me.

243 would be perfect 360 days of the year but frowned upon if I went on the hill....

one of us
posted Hide Post
So you are sensibly having a 6.5x55 built??
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Here is the contour and weight chart for Krieger barrels.
http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/RapidCat/catalog/pagetemp...=3382&CompanyId=1246

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1894MK2, go to http://www.viperactions.com. You can also e-mail Jerry Stiller at stiller@viperactions.com. Jerry has an export license and has a better receiver than the Nesika-Borden. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry Stiller does indeed build great actions - as do a number of other manufacturers (BAT etc). But are any of his actions repeaters??

Now, if Jerry would only finish his "Predator" model - a M700 clone, all true but without the bells and whistles found on BR actions, scheduled at $5-600 - then we would be talking! But who knows when he will get that action finished?? And btw, 1894, in that case I'm before you in the line... Big Grin
- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that he has a repeater. The Predators are supposed to be on the EDM machine soon for the raceways. I believe that the bolts are finished except having the bolt handles fitted and tigged on. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I agree until it comes to the issue of full lenghth actions and intermediate cartridges... something that would annoy me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
Mike,

I agree until it comes to the issue of full lenghth actions and intermediate cartridges... something that would annoy me.

Yes that is a bit annoying... That's what caused me to think you might have decided to go the .260 road... But I see the issue of this cartridge being a bit of an oddball in Europe...

Butch, I'll certainly be the last to complain when Jerry issues his Predator. I think this is one action the World badly needs. Now, if only he would make a RH, SA, single shot with a .222 Rem bolt face.. But I think the .308 bolt face is scheduled first...
- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is correct MHO, the other will follow. Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
1894, I just checked my Jewell with the bottom (inside trigger guard) safety, and it does not lock the bolt on safe, as I had assumed. This is with a Hall action, but I doubt it is any different with other actions.

Just thought I'd let you know.
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post

I suggest a copy of the rifle above. I believe it's owned by Matt in Virgina. It's a 6.5 X 284 on a Bat.

I should get one of these for myself.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McMillan makes an action that is a Rem 700 clone called the MCR-T and it is the same action that John Lazzeroni now uses on his custom rifles. It will take the Jewell trigger and the Sonny Hill bottom metal. They are a very high-quality (and strong) stainless action.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote