Find
Notify
Tools

1911 pistol question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
HI,

I have a 1911 Essex framed Remington Rand slide with few Wilson and Brown parts gun... It wasn't feeding quite right and I was told by several guys to by a Wilson Combat mag and would probably fix my problem... It feeds great now with the exception when I release the slide the mag drops free???? It is accually when the slide moves forward the mag drops... What is wrong?
Thanks!
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
HI,

I have a 1911 Essex framed Remington Rand slide with few Wilson and Brown parts gun... It wasn't feeding quite right and I was told by several guys to by a Wilson Combat mag and would probably fix my problem... It feeds great now with the exception when I release the slide the mag drops free???? It is accually when the slide moves forward the mag drops... What is wrong?
Thanks!
Aaron

Probably just a little latch issue. It doesn't sound like the mag catch has a good hold on the magazine. With the slide closed, how hard is it to get the mag to click in? What does it take to release the magazine? Their shouldn't be a "hair" release. You should have to apply some pressure to get it to release. Based on your description, that's where I would look first.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Might be a weak spring in the mag catch as well. I recently fixed a Colt Mustang that had the annoying problem of dropping the magazine while firing...not a good think for a backup gun. Check that little spring out.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote