Find
Notify
Tools

CVA Mauser kit?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted
Just wondering if anyone else ever saw one of these. In the early 1980's I was working for a distributer and one of our stores returned a CVA kit using a Santa Barbara barreled action in .30-06 and a birch stock. These were packaged like the black powder kits that were so popular at the time.

This particular kit was missing the trigger and the action bolts, so I asked the manager how much he wanted for it. $20.00 later I waltzed home with my first "project gun".

I've never seen another and would snatch it up in a heart beat if i found it.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
I own just such a rifle. It came as a 308Win. I opened it up to a 30-06 with a match reamer. Wow, does it ever shoot. I replaced the birch stock with a Sile black and white laminate purchased from Brownells for around $85. Not the best stock I've seen but it sure did dress up the Santa Barbera. Brownells dropped the stock from their inventory. It does shoot great with a tight chamber and makes a wonderful field gun. I suppose I could go thrue the action and polish it up and smooth it a bit. But it's a utilitarian rifle and does one hell of a job. Nice kit to work with. You should be ashamed of yourself for stealing the kit from the uninformed dude. I'd give you $100 for it just to help ease your concience.

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
olcrip,

I was beginning to wonder if I got the only one!

No shame in the deal, the manager knew what it was worth and was taking pity on a twenty year old who was making single digit $/hour. Wink

I had mine rebarreled to 9,3x62 two years ago, put a Choate stock on it and took it to RSA in 04.

It'll be the last rifle to ever leave my safe!

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote