THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Ruger Super Blackhawk ? -Update -poor customer service

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Super Blackhawk ? -Update -poor customer service
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
I just picked up a used 3 screw Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag. The gun shoots good, but I have a problem with the loading gate. Works fine with light target loads, but when I use full power loads the gate opens when the gun is fired. Compared to my Single Six, the tension on the loading gate seems light.

Is this an easy fix, or should I just send it back to Ruger?

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2318 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your OM SBH probably needs a new gate detent spring. This part is less than $3 but isn't in stock at Numrich, but I didn't check elsewhere. If you haven't been inside one of these they can be tricky but not extremely complicated. It helps to have three hands when working on one. LOL

P.S. I wonder if a previous owner worked on the gate contact end of the spring to lighten it up and went too far. Just a thought.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Any gunsmith should have a selection of springs with one the right size or wire to wrap one to fix that.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate the info. Things like this is what makes AR such a great site.

I'll give Ruger a call to see if I can get a spring from them.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2318 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The Old Model gate spring is just a coil spring; very easy to get to and replace; Take it out and see and you should be able to get a replacement easily. It is the new model spring that takes 3 hands to replace.
Yes, any real gunsmith, or most any tinkerer will have one that will work. If you live close, bring it over and we will have it fixed in about 3 minutes.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you live close, bring it over and we will have it fixed in about 3 minutes.

Are you located anywhere near S/E Pennsylvania? You can PM me with your location if you prefer. If not, does anyone know a gunsmith they can recommend in my area (southeast PA).

Thanks

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
IA, probably 1000 miles.
This is an easy job and you don't need a gunsmith to install a new spring on this one.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I'll give Ruger a call on Mon. to see if I can get the correct spring from them and give it a try.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Update -I called Ruger and thanks to the info provided by dpcd I knew enough to ask if my gun had the older loading gate coil spring. Turns out the gun was made in 1973 and does have the older type spring. The Ruger part# is MR07300 and costs all of $2.00. Now comes the good part - they won't sell me any parts for this gun because it has not been returned for the update to the transfer bar ignition system which is something I don't want to do. On top of that even if I wanted to do this I have to pay the Fedex shipping charges ($47.00)to get the gun to them for their so called improvement.

I know this is a long shot, but if anyone has one of these springs that they would sell, please contact me. Of course, I'll pay the shipping charges as well.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Bastards.
I will look for a spring for you.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Lawyers at work

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
dpcd - I was doing some searching on the net looking for the spring and came up with some conflicting info. re: the part #. Called Ruger back again and found that they gave me the wrong part #. The new # they gave me is MR07300. They also told me all the Super Blackhawks had the same spring from the beginning. This is after they first told me the older models had a different spring so I don't have that much faith in their advice.

I sent you a PM with the gun serial# just in case you need that info.

Thanks for the help.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Going by memory only. Eeker I thought the old one had a coil spring and plunger. Don't have a picture of the Super but that is what I show for the Blackhawk. The new one has a wire spring that looks like someone took a safety pin and ran over it with a car.

Numrich has the new one for around $10

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He needs the old one; just a simple coil spring.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
He needs the old one; just a simple coil spring.

Yep. tu2 Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K