New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norwegian Krag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked up a 6.5/55 Norwegian Krag the other day. Previously cut down. Action appears to be in excellent shape and original except for a peep sight on the bolt. Bore is very rough and my field gauge goes right in, so will probably rebarrel.
Left-hand thread, 12 tpi, square threads.
I'm look for any comments/pointers/things-to-look-for before I tackle this.
Thanks.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two US Krags, and the only thing I would suggest being real careful of is pulling the barrel off.

If you don’t plan on keeping the old barrel for anything I would have your smith literally cut it off on his lathe to avoid any possible stress to the receiver from using a barrel/receiver wrench.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very nice action, stronger than a US Krag because the rear of the bolt rib bears on the receiver, acting as a second locking lug. Better bedding because there is a stock screw up at the front of the action, unlike the US Krag which depends on a barrel band to hold down the front of the rifle. Also, usually better steel and heat treatment Is yours Konigsberg or Steyr? Dated? Round bolt knob or flattened? Serial number? I will look it up for you in the Krag books. Easiest to rebarrel to the original 6.5x55 but will also handle 7x57 very nicely. Some have been altered to .308 but I would not do this. Probably .257 Roberts would do nicely but I would avoid the new hot factory loads. .250 Savage would be nice, .300 would work but is pointless.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another little thing to be careful of if you remove the barrel yourself...or if you have it done by someone not familiar with this action. These actions have a left hand thread.

A friend of mine has one and if you can believe it, the action is even smoother than the US Krags...which is saying allot.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Konigsberg action marked 1916. SN 14895.
Plan would be to rebarrel to original 6.5x55--it's one of my favorites--will probably opt for a slower twist barrel -- no plans to shoot the 159/160 gn bullets. Favorites are the 125/129 which shoot quarter size 10 shot groups from two rifles with 1:9 twist. Both rifles will also shoot 140's well.
Had the barrel/action area soaking for two days in Kroil and after making up some bushings to hold things, the barrel came right off.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote