New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr 8x56R-----what did I just buy??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK, made a spur of the moment decision at a store the other day and bought a steyr carbine in this caliber. I liked the "straight Pull" bolt system. Will call it my cheap Blaser!

I see where I can get brass and dies but what about bullets?? Apparently this thing needs a bullet diameter of .329" instead of normal 8mm bullets??

I paid $89 for this and think I can enjoy it---can anyone help me get up and running with info and ammo? PS This thing has a weird magazine---did it use some sort of "Clip Strip" when feeding?
I'm guessing for my use it will be a single shot??

As you can tell I don't know balogna about these military rifles and probably shouldn't have done this but now the wife knows what I did and will give me dickens if I don't get it "functional".

Anyone have extra dies, shells or ammo for this thing that they'd want to part with??

Thanks for making me slightly more intelligent.

Don Kraky

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullets are available from DTK (pricey) and also, I think from Buffalo Arms...

[ 03-03-2003, 19:19: Message edited by: Pedestal ]

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You could try S.O.G for some surplus ammo. Any surplus ammo should come with the clips. All of the mil-surp I've seen was made in the 30's, and is very corrosive.
Mike

Posts: 17 | Location: Arvada,Co. U.S.A. | Registered: 25 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
OK, made a spur of the moment decision at a store the other day and bought a steyr carbine in this caliber. I liked the "straight Pull" bolt system. Will call it my cheap Blaser!

I see where I can get brass and dies but what about bullets?? Apparently this thing needs a bullet diameter of .329" instead of normal 8mm bullets??

I paid $89 for this and think I can enjoy it---can anyone help me get up and running with info and ammo? PS This thing has a weird magazine---did it use some sort of "Clip Strip" when feeding?
I'm guessing for my use it will be a single shot??

As you can tell I don't know balogna about these military rifles and probably shouldn't have done this but now the wife knows what I did and will give me dickens if I don't get it "functional".

Anyone have extra dies, shells or ammo for this thing that they'd want to part with??

Thanks for making me slightly more intelligent.

Don Kraky

I purchased one of these rifles in carbine format with a couple of cans of ammo years ago. Even with the short carbine barrel, the little 6.5 lb. rifle would launch 200 gr. ball at 2400 fps. That along with a steel buttplate made a heavy shooting jacket nearly a requirement.

If you need some clips, let me know and I'll send you some.

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK....DO I HAVE THIS RIGHT??

Evidently grafs has the brass priced right.
Lee Makes the dies for this caliber.
AND, it appears you can run jacketed .338 bullets through a lee sizer and take them down to .329.

Apparently I could be "in business" pretty ez.

Does anyone have any reloading data on this?
Am I accurate in thinking I can run the .338 bullets through the lee sizer?

If I do reloading can I take those bullets and set them up in a clip left over from someone elses shooting of surplus ammo?

Sorry I'm so dumb--wish I hadn't started this mess!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
kraky---

I'll only answer what I know for sure-----

You cannot size bullets *down*, you must size up with a "bump die".

The reason is this: Jacket material has much more "spring" to it than lead. If you try to size down the jacket will blister and loosen the bond on the core. They shoot like ping pong balls with a wad of gum stuck on one side.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JBelk-

How much can a bullet be bumped up?

Can the 350 grain Speer .416 be bumped to .423?

Thanks, Bob

Posts: 120 | Location: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Kboom>
posted

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hawk or hard lead...

the gun will be a hoot to shoot, you did okay, oce you get around the reloading componenets
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kraky
Try these loads, start a few grains lower and work up.
198gr. 46gr.3031 2310fps.
206gr. 45gr.3031 2300fps.
I have used Hawk Bullets at these velocities in the .025jkt[ 300gr. 450/400, and the 285gr..035jkt. in 9.3] on deer and wild hogs with excellent results.
Do not worry about max loads[your rifle is from about 1931] the Hawk bullets at these velocities are some of the best killers I have ever used.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better do a search here and on other forums on Hawk bullets before firing them.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote