Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weight for an Express style Wood stock
 Login/Join

posted
Doing some mental gymnastics here...how much does the average wood stock weigh? Something like an express style for a big bore rifle is what I'm needing to know.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it really depends on the wood, but I believe 2 1/4# is good a figure as any

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
can be a little, can be a lot. i got from great american off his bargain list a stock that was run off an original rigby sporter, probably a 7x57 as is the short f/e, round knob, very petite pattern in a nice pc of english walnut. it went 2# exactly w/ a silvers pad. made a 35 whelen on it w/ 24" barrel, express sights, bbl front and swivel and rifle just barely made 8# even.

on the other hand, ordered also from great american a stock set for a ruger #1 to be used on a 500NE-3". told him what i was after. is the style your talking of. said needed all the weight i could get and he picked out an extremely dense pc of black walnut, straight grain thru the wrist, some fiddleback and i forget right now what the butt and f/e weighed but was way, way over 3#. and that's a 2-pc stock. conversely i have 2 stocks of bastogne. one weighs nothing, feels like balsa wood. the other feels like a concrete block.

if you need the weight, talk to whoever you get the stock from and more than likely they'll be able to select a particularly dense piece.