THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmiths, pressure sign on factory loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted
I just picked up a box of once fired brass from a gunsmith. These were once fired factory loads he had fired in customers guns, during testing. I was surprized at the number of cases showing various pressure signs, from mild to OUCH! [Eek!]
The cases in this discussion were 308Win. So, as this is a high pressure cartridge, I was wondering if this is the norm for it, or and if there are other cartridges that tend to push the limits on some firearms.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
What pressure signs? Amazingly often, flattend primers are a sign of headspace, and cratered primers are signs of huge firing pin holes. Even "shiney spots" on brass can be caused by a crooked chamber. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Absolutely! I wish I had a nickel for every cratered primer i've seen which is a result of too large a firing pin hole, or, case heads displaying shiny bolt nose ejector markings. Brass by it's very soft nature will display a lot of false pressure indicators. The trick is to sort through these markings in a reasonable and educated fashion. True pressure signs are usually much more exaggerated than the typical signs described by Dutch or myself. If in doubt, throw it out...

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
This batch had at least one of:
Pierced primer
leaked primer
Blown primer
Loose primer
Flattened primer
Case web rings Some quite pronounced.
Case web rings very close to the rim (first time I have ever seen them that close)
Most of the cases were Remington, or Winchester, with a few Federals, and a couple of Winchester Supreme Nickle cases. The number of pressure signs didn't seem to be brand specific.
The paperclip test was not used, as I have enough brass to just pitch anything even close to questionable.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch your crooked chambers were clearly evident on some, just by eyeball.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Yup, just as I figured, those are high pressure signs! [Big Grin]

John,

No, that is not the norm for those factory 308 Win cartridges you mentioned. This is probably just stuff that has accumulated over the years and wound up in the box of brass you're gunsmith gave you and is really nothing to worry about unless you possess the gun that fired them...
[Smile] What did your gunsmith say about them?

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
G.Malmborg
I'm not worried. Why would I be? I didn't fire them.
As to his comments he said once fired. That's all.
Seems strange to me to have that much pressure sign on factory brass.
Well now some are twice fired, straight in the round file. "Got to have a long talk with that boy" Not to mention get a couple of bucks back on the brass. Hmm maybe I better pull them out of that that round file.
Then again five bucks CDN for maybe 300 rounds of once fired brass isn't too shaby.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
John,

You pay your gunsmith for once fired brass? Every gun I build, chamber or otherwise have to test fire, I bag, tag and store the brass. When I test guns for function, which is most all the time, hell, I give it away by the box loads. How much are you willing to pay for really good once fired stuff?
[Big Grin]

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Given the post 911 world, I doubt It would get here anyway. [Frown] Most gunshops sell brass up here usually cheap, especially if you buy something else.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually John-y, brass is pretty easy to get across the border. Mark it "hobby supplies- extruded brass" and it usually just sails right through. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
interesting... I have frequently seen that factory is HOTTER than I load... even on my few totally stock rifles, even my striker 708, factory loads are hotter than where I want them to be.

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso
Thats true for me with some of my rifles, the 308 being one of those. My wife has a tight chambered BLR. Factory loads flatten primers right out, some foriegn factory stuff is hard to chamber.

<1_pointer>
posted
Mr. Malmborg- If you have any '06, .338 or .264 Win Mag I'll drive down and give you a pittance for them! [Big Grin]

<JBelk>
posted
1_pointer---

I have a couple hundred pounds of assorted once fired brass within driving distance of you. Make an offer. [Smile]

<G.Malmborg>
posted
1_pointer,

Offer to take them off his hands... [Big Grin]

Malm

<1_pointer>
posted
Whaddya know, I'm heading to Boise next Saturday (if the missus allows) for the Deer Hunters of ID banquet. [Big Grin] I'll be in touch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad I could help get you guys some brass. Up here in snowy acres it can be a pain to get sometimes. I don't have a large local range, just a small informal outdoor one.