New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser breakages poll
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If everyone posted the breakages they or their friends experienced with their rifle (esp) Mausers (might be a short thread) then we'll know what spares to pack for the trip of a lifetime with one rifle.

I currently take spare scope in mounts (prezeroed), firing pin and spring, extractor and ejector.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola 94

for a M98it's very difficult to have an breakages , an ejector it's almost impossible to break , firing pins also strong , spring could be work even if it's in two parts , only once saw an break extractor due to an overload the case stuck in the chamber and after a hit with a wooden hammer the case lost a piece of rim and the extractor a piece of edge [Frown] ( should be an extreme hardening one ) most of the problem could happen for after market triggers , maybe a spare original military two stage trigger could be a good idea ,BTW M98 spares could be found anywhere any place and cheap , if you do the same trip with a Blaser bolt what to have a spare ? a complete action [Big Grin]

Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The only breakages in 30+ years of using Mausers was a firing pin tip breaking on a Spanish M43 & the knurled portion of the cocking piece on a Mexican Mauser snapping of when i fired the rifle.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only parts likely to break are the aftermarket ones. Take an original trigger and bolt shroud/safety. I always wrap some mil-spec duct tape around a small pencil. It comes in handy if your stock splits or the floorplate comes loose.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel M:
BTW M98 spares could be found anywhere any place and cheap , if you do the same trip with a Blaser bolt what to have a spare ? a complete action [Big Grin]

Saludos
Daniel

HA HA HA HA HA [Big Grin] [Razz] [Eek!] It seems like Blasers are getting more and more supporters [Big Grin]

I have never had an break down on any of my mausers, just a scope that stopped to work, but that is nothing can blaim Paul or Wilhelm mausers exellent design, this is not something that could be said about the blaser R93 [Razz] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

[ 08-09-2003, 00:36: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only part I have had fail (wear) on a 98 to the point of causing a malfunction is the sharp pointed screw that holds the bolt stop and bolt removal gate to the side of the action. This was on a commercial FN 98. Was quite a surprise to find you could really long stroke a Mauser and be holding the bolt free of the rifle.

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 32 years of gunsmithing Most of the Mauser parts broken were from previous do it yourself home endeavors.

However honest parts broken in the field are not common. I have seen 2 magazine springs break, and one ejector spring.

The most common breakage is the person falling down and bending the scope tube or breaking the stock

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
A member at HA told me that a Mauser 98's bolt spit in half on it's face. He said that this was common on the Mexican ones. He was not badly injured.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have broken the lip off of the extractor on a Yugo. It may have been broken when someone tried to snap it over a chambered round.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
NEVER had a Mauser break!!