New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel tension screw model 70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The threads for the tension screw on my pre 64 model 70 are messed up about four turns down. at least that is all the farther I can get the screw to go in the barrel. The screw itself looks good. I would like to retap the threads, but I can't find a nut that will screw onto the bolt. I have tried 10/32 and that will go almost all the way on. number 5 metric goes on about the same, but as the rifle was made in 1959 I don't think metric was used. I stoped at two different places both have a big variety of nut and bolts and they didn't have an idea what it could be. Did Win. use something different or am I missing something.
Like I said the screw turns into the barrel about 4 turns not enough to change POA. The nuts I tried turned in only about 1 1/2 turns.
Thanks Tony

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our ACE Hardware store has a nifty little device that you lay the screw up against and it will tell you what the number of threads are and it has holes in it that let you know the diameter. I'd check with them and use the "good" part of the screw to determine its specs. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The thread size for the Forearm Stud, (#7770) on the standard M 70 rifles is 3/16" x 36.

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1453 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help, now I'll have to round up a tap. Thanks again Tony

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote