New
Find
Notify
Tools

1910 Mex Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've done some searches, but haven't been home lately to check my books. I just noticed (after 3 months) that my 1910 Mexican's military safety is in the fire position when on the left side. Opposite of a regular 98. Is this the way they are or did someone mix some parts on this rifle. The bolt #'s don't match, but it is a shorter bolt than std 98.
The rifle was bought complete military - no visible sporterizing.
Thanks, Ron

Posts: 90 | Location: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: 13 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All but a very few military Mausers fire with the safety to the left (viewed from the rear of the gun).

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
All but a few Military Mausers fire in the leftmost position. In fact, I think only one moodel had the safety reversed so that fire was on the right. Many after market safeties with the flag on the right are "safe" when the flag is lifted.

Which model is your "regular" 98?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only Mauser with reversed safety I know is the FN made Peruvian Mod. 1935.

The Mex.Mod 1910 has the same bolt shroud dimensions as the "normal" 98 has. So the Peruvian parts will fit.
Maybe that is has been mingled.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It occured to; me that mayhaaps you are speaking about a two position low safety to clear scope?

Most of these fire when lowered to the right. Haven't run into any lately, but I believe the very old FN's had the flag on the left.

Could this be what you're referring to?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Which model is your "regular" 98?"

I only own 2 military std size 98's. A 38 K Kale Turk that I swore fired when on the right, but it has a 2 pos Timney now which fires when on the right as Duane pointed out. My other is a 1935 FN Peruvian and fires on the right like Heavenknows says.

"It occured to; me that mayhaaps you are speaking about a two position low safety to clear scope? Most of these fire when lowered to the right. Haven't run into any lately, but I believe the very old FN's had the flag on the left."

The Mex still has the 3 pos military safety, but my FN Higgins 2 pos fires when on the left side.

It comes with age I guess. Do something and remember it as the opposite. Sometimes I scare myself. Maybe I should find a safer hobby. LOL.

Posts: 90 | Location: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: 13 January 2010Reply With Quote