New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engraving-who
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be looking for an engraver for my 7x57 that is in progress. I want just a little subtle work on the receiver, floor plate, bolt shroud, and barrel. Does anybody know Tommy Kaye or Ron Smith. My untrained eye really liked some Ron Smith work that I saw today. I am too old to wait 2-3 yrs. Am I asking the impossible?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Butch, my vote would go to Marty Rabeno, a former Pres of the Guild
From FEGA site:

In 1993, he was chosen by "WINCHESTER" (U.S. Repeating Arms Company) to engrave what they considered to be the most important Model 94 that they ever manufactured. This is their "Centennial Model 1894-1994" that commemorates the 100 years of production of the Model 94. This custom rifle is the only rifle manufactured by "WINCHESTER" to have the factory designation of "1 of 1." This special rifle was auctioned at the Shot Show in January 1994.

I "stole" this from him when my work had to be delayed so he could do the above. We are still very good friends. There are only 8 casts of this action as the mold broke. Marty doesn't have one, but I will leave it in the will for him.

My grip cap, would make a lovely bolo as well!

The reciever:

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Butch:

Mark Swanson from Prescott, AZ did the engraving on my .577 NE. I think he did great work, didn't take years, only about six months, and it didn't break the bank.

If you want his number, let me know and I will dig it up.

Here is a photo:

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I visited with Ron Smith at the gun show in Dallas this weekend. He said he is no longer taking comissions. I mentioned Tommy Kaye or Kay and Ron said he is very good. I understand he is tooling saddles in Yokum, Tex. Barry Lee Hands has been suggested.
After doing a search on Ron Smith, I now understand why his stuff is good.He is quite a master! Mr 577, I would like the contact info of your guy. 308 Sako, I understand your guy is over 2 years out.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't surprise me... He just sent some photos of the next guild gun, least wise the 2 action sides. Unfortunately they aren't for release yet... Quite nice I would say.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would do well to consider Roger Kehr, who posts on here as Scrollcutter. He is and has been a full time engraver for 20+ years.

BTW, is Ron retiring from engraving? He does amazing work.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
577,sheez a nice looking rifle.the wood is a little too light colored but sheez good.The rhino could have used a little more muscle.because he looks a little sluggish.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic, he said he was going to write another book and teach. I just assumed that Roger would be further out than I would like.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Shootaway:

I too like darker wood, but when I saw that piece of lumber my jaw hit the floor.

Also, the photo of the rhino does not do Mark's work justice. It looks 100% better in person IMHO.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fega.com

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1825 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote