THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What did you do to your 1909 Argentine floor metal to make it work for a 30-06

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you do to your 1909 Argentine floor metal to make it work for a 30-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to use a 1909 floor metal on my Commercial f/n action. what do I need to do to make it work for 30-06?

KJK

Posts: 692 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it not work now? I have found that most Milsurp Mauser mag boxes will fit all but the longest cartridges. If that is the case, lengthen it. Filing the inside of the front wall will generally be enough.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have an FN that was built for .30-06 it is likely that the receiver opening may be too long to allow filing on the Argy mag. You may be able to taper the top of the mag box to match the feed ramp. If not, you can cut out the front of the magazine and weld or silver solder a patch to lenghten it.

Posts: 3786 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found by far the best thing to do, is send it to dpcd and ask him to fix it. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you can cut out the front of the magazine and weld or silver solder a patch to lenghten it.

Looks like that is the thing to do. Thanks.

KJK

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is three 1909 guards.

The bottom one has not been altered, and shown with 257 Roberts ammo in it.

The middle guard has had the front lengthen 1/8" you can see the plate that was added, then machined length wise inside, shown with 35 Whelen ammo in it.

The top one, well it has been lengthened, you can see the front section that was added, and the outside edge tapered inwards.
Then it was milled out length wise and the side walls thinned, and the inner taper changed, shown with 9.3 x 64 ammo in it

Enjoy.
J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim"s post of magazines just proves the point that one MUST have proper stack in the magazine before you can hope for reliable feeding and function,

Anything else is just an exercise in futility. Plenty of examples in the gun world of even high cost customs DGR's that don't meet that basic expectation.

Posts: 3627 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that middle example looks exactly like what I need. Thanks for posting that photo.

KJK

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, if your stock is inletted for FN bottom metal you will have to extend the inlet for the longer forward tang of the DWM metal.

Posts: 3786 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
This may be a silly question- Is it inletted for FN bottom metal? If so, why not use FN Supreme bottom metal? It has a hinged floorplate and is already .30-‘06 length.

Posts: 7591 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Becasue I don't like the look of the FN bottom metal.

KJK

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
That would be a good reason. I like it, though. I have several waiting to be part of a custom rifle.

Posts: 7591 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 1909 style bottom metal

KJK