Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Changes M700 Trigger Design
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
For all, "DWM" posted this amplification to the thread on longrangehunting.com; the source is a Predator Xtreme article regarding the new design.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First from reading the article it sounds like it was the lawyers who inspired the new trigger. Remington is calling it the "SPL for "Safety Pivoted Link" the new trigger unit looks remarkably similar to the original, but differs in one major element: the safety blocks movement of both the trigger and sear."

Seems there is an issue with the existing Reminton triggers in that if the safety is on and you pull the trigger, the trigger has to fully return to position or the gun will fire when the safety is released. The trigger may potentially hang/bind on the inside of the stock or something and not fully return to position leaving you in danger when you release the safety.

"Remington makes several claims for the new trigger, among them:

1) improved out-of-the-box feel,
2) better corrosion resistance,
3) more highly-polished parts to provide a crisper pull, and
4) lower pull settings from the factory.

Though trigger tampering still voids the warranty, the trigger pull can be adjusted down to 2 lbs. if done by an authorized Remington Repair Center."

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I would like to see a photo of hte innards, or a drawing. You could achieve the claims Remington is reported to be making here by smoothing and polishing a current Remington trigger.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope it's not just advertising hype, and that the trigger is truly an improvement. If so, it will build my opinion of Remington a great deal, (I'm sure they're not really worried about my opinion, but at least I'd feel better about them).
The 700 suffers from only a couple of problems in my book, and I used to be a huge fan of the older rifles, one is quality control, which seems to be getting better, and the other was the safety that doesn't lock the bolt. I was never really worried about the trigger design, although I didn't really like it, it worked pretty well and provided good adjustability. If the safety perception/reality issue is resolved and the rifle comes out with an even better trigger, good for them. Savage has really come on strong with their new AccuTrigger and Remmy really did need to change some of their manufacturing methods and quality problems. We all win when they try to legitimately "improve" their guns, hopfully this is it.
This could put Remington back on top of the bolt rifle heap if they handle it right.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby:
I hope it's not just advertising hype, and that the trigger is truly an improvement. If so, it will build my opinion of Remington a great deal, (I'm sure they're not really worried about my opinion, but at least I'd feel better about them).
The 700 suffers from only a couple of problems in my book, and I used to be a huge fan of the older rifles, one is quality control, which seems to be getting better, and the other was the safety that doesn't lock the bolt. I was never really worried about the trigger design, although I didn't really like it, it worked pretty well and provided good adjustability. If the safety perception/reality issue is resolved and the rifle comes out with an even better trigger, good for them. Savage has really come on strong with their new AccuTrigger and Remmy really did need to change some of their manufacturing methods and quality problems. We all win when they try to "legitimately" improve their guns, hopfully this is it.
This could put Remington back on top of the bolt rifle heap if they handle it right.

Bob

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Jim, agreed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
Jim, agreed.

It's good but I suppose for those who want lighter than 1 lb we will still be buying our Rifle basix, canjar and jewells.....................be nice if remington could just offer there varmint guns standard with a Jewell HVR trigger beer

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute.

I thought Remington said there was nothing wrong with their current trigger.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Wait a minute.

Bingo!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wait a minute.

There is nothing wrong with the design of their current trigger...it is poor quality control in the factor, and wacko’s playing with it after they but one that causes the problems.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wait a minute.

500 grains there's nothing wrong with them per se. Thousands of satisfied gun owners prove that. But why not make them even better? If they want to improve the feel and function of their triggers...let 'em.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote