New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help Identifying barrel and action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First of all lets discuss the barrel. It has no markings externally whatsoever. It is chambered in .308win. The rifle used to shoot great. I(like a dumbass) sold it. I got it back a few months later. I can see nothing physically wrong with it. I have bore-scoped it. It was not fired while out of my posession. It wont shoot now-at all. I'd get better groups w/ a 12ga. The rifling is shallow. There are 11 lands and 11 grooves. 1-10 twist. I have been unable to figure out who manufactured this barrel-I want another one.........HELP!!!!

Next is an 8mm that I picked up from estate sale. The barrel is obviously turned down from a military stepped barrel. The action however is marked as I have not previously seen. It has the mauser crest on the front ring of the action. The crest has the date 1943. There is the thumb groove on the left side and the loading slot for use with stripper clips. There are no military marks of any kind. No country crest. All the parts are stamped with matching serial numbers or atleast the last 3 digits. All the screws have lock screws. The trigger is single stage but looks like a typical 2 stage military trigger. Any Ideas on what I've stumbled across? I paid $178.00 for it back in 2001. it also has a gorgeous hogback style stock. I want to rebarrel it to .257 Robts unless it is something special.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't help with the 308, but the 8mm is most likely a 98 reimported from Russian captured stock piles from which they ground all the German markings.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudude--There is no evidence of any grinding on the action. I have been a machinist since 1992 and a mold&toolmaker since 2001. I know what grinding looks like. Other than factory machining there are no marks, no dessicrated crowns, no swasticas. I was wondering if this was possibly a sporting rifle at one time?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pics of rifle would help - sounds like a commercial mauser action, possibly from a Standard Model given the banner. Any writing on the side?

Some of the Mauser receivers were assembled into sporters post war. Maybe this is one - by hogback I am assuming you mean European style, not Weatherby style. I would look into it more before modifying - might end up as a money losing proposition if it is something of value.

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote