THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best After Market Trigger For Win. M-70?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best after market trigger for a M-70 post-64 CRF/PRF? Does anyone make a lighter spring?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your fellow Texan, Arnold Jewell, tops my list.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Jewell! If you really want it light (e.g. for bench shooting), you should be able to set it down to a couple of ounces. It shines in the hunting field just around 1 lbs.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have read some feedback from Midwayusa on the page they have the Jewell trigger listed stating that the safety will not work if installed. Truth or fiction I do not know.

I have a Jewell trigger on my XR100 with the bolt stop and safety it works perfectly and I have a one pound trigger pull.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kepplinger Single-set Available from Brownell's.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this for a hunting rifle or a bench/target rifle. If for a hunting rifle my answer is none. Have your trigger worked over by someone such as Mark Penrod and you won't need to worry about after market triggers. I have had him work on pre-64's and classics and all are uniformly excellent.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info gentlemen.
It is for a hunting rifle.
I guess I should have asked: Where can I get a lighter Win. M-70 trigger spring? I don't know if it is true because I never have my trigger pull guage with me at the right time, but if I set the trigger light(2 lbs.and under)on this particular rifle, it seems to be inconsistant.(Maybe due to temperature?) The creep is slightly longer but not my much.I would like to make "ALL" of my triggers "feel" the same.
I know Jewell is a fine trigger. And have bought from them before. I am an experimenter however. Has anyone tried a Jard trigger and know anything about them?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't get rid of the factory trigger on a M70. Anything you can replace it with is inferior to the original. It's not a tinkerer's trigger, a real gunsmith needs to work it over. Mark Penrod is very good, I have three rifles with triggers done be him. There's also a gunsmith that goes by Redneck over on the 24hourcampfire board who does a great job on M70 triggers. $50 to a good gunsmith will get you a better trigger than anything you can replace it with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for the record, as I often see posters describing the Jewell triggers as benchrest triggers, not all Jewells are 1.5-2 oz. triggers. He makes fine hunting rifle triggers as well.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this for a hunting rifle or a bench/target rifle. If for a hunting rifle my answer is none. Have your trigger worked over by someone such as Mark Penrod and you won't need to worry about after market triggers. I have had him work on pre-64's and classics and all are uniformly excellent.

I don't know anything about the latest Model 70 trigger but, the pre-FN made rifles have the best trigger available, if you have the ability or know someone who has "refined" them I would never change my old Model 70 triggers for an aftermarket. The are made by the KISS method and are absolutely the best when they are worked over by someone competant.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had very good luck with Timney and Rifle Basix triggers. Great breaks, and adjustable for pull weight, with no creep or overtravel too. They're less expensive than Jewell's. I do have three rifles outfitted with Jewell triggers and feel the ones I mentioned above are equal to, or better than Jewell's for a hunting rifle.
Never owned our pulled a Kepplinger trigger, but guys owning them have good things to say about them.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rae59
You have a PM

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I just installed a Jackson Two stage in a Palma rifle. So far I really like it and am very fond of two stage triggers. Sinclair sell these triggers for the 700's but I am not sure if they have them for the Model 70's. They are not cheap $300.00 but are easily adjusted and easy to install.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just looked at my first Jackson and it is a very, very, well made trigger. It's a shame to conceal it in the stock.
However,for hunting (or for anything short of BR, where the M70 is never used anyway), I see little reason to replace the original Winchester trigger.
If trigger pull seem to vary, that is usually an indication of improper sear engagment angle. Springs are pretty consistent. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I've been eye balling those Jackson triggers, and I know someday, soon, I'll have one.
I had two different Anschutz rifles (5018 triggers), and a FWB Olympic Air rifle that had a two stage trigger, and they are in a class by themselves, above all others. The breaks are awesome... I think the FWB had a better two ounce trigger than the Anschutz, ceritainly better than any other trigger I've owned.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
keep the Model 70 trigger and have it worked, my Uncle is a gunsmith and I have asked the same question of him. He told me keep the M70 trigger and let him work it. I did, am very happy, it cost me a 6 pack and all my other M 70s are identical.

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'm no Gunsmith but if I can adjust my M70 trigger to my satisfaction then any decent Gunsmith should be able to do the same for you.
I happen to really like how mine turned out.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of directions on line on how to adjust these Mod 70 triggers. I paid my gunsmith $50.00 twice to do 2 mod 70's. The last 4 I have done myself in about 5 minutes apiece. You need some small 1/4" open end wrenches and that is about all. My triggers are set at about 2 lbs with 0 creep and no overtravel.
It is advised to put some nail polish over the jam nut on the trgger pull adjustment and a little on the top nut that adjusts the overtravel so as to ensure they do not loosen.
Once you have done one, the rest are easy. I am a bit of a tinkerer.
The open end wrenches need to be very "thin".

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not new to M-70 triggers either and have adjusted the pull and over-travel on most of mine. There have been a couple that I needed to take to G-Smith. Sometimes the sear faces are not true to each other or are a bit over sized and rough. I have trouble sometimes filing (with a file) square and true surfaces on something that small so I just take it to my G-smith. I not sure but I think he machined himself a tool to assist him in this chore. I do think that in this particular rifle my spring is a bit short or at it's outer compression limit (and it is a 2006 new rifle) but I am not sure. I will take a look at it with a magnifying glass. It could have a rough or un-even sear engagement also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have had one Timney installed on a Model 70 yrs. back and it is a good trigger......light and crisp. I too am content with the standard trig on the 70's as well..just was a personal curiosity.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote