THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Montana 1999 completed and picked up today!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
Well it took about 18 months from start to finish working on one piece at a time and saving money. It came out better than I had anticipated. It is a Montana 1999 short magnum stainless action, Douglas premium air gauged stainless barrel, barrel and action have been teflon coated, Talley rings and bases teflon coated, Leupold 3-9x40mm European 30mm scope, the stock came from a Bastogne walnut blank, not sure what grade I just looked at them until I found one I liked,

Posts: 885 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sniper:

When are we going to the range? You can't be too far away... Did you have any trouble with the bases fitting? I've heard rumors. Looks very nice. Let us know how she shoots.

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sniper-

She's a beauty. Good luck and good shooting. Being a proud owner of a 6.5 WSM myself; I know you will enjoy yours. I had a .300 WSM made with my Montana M1999 short action.

Who did your stock?

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Sniper

Very nice.

I hate to be a snoop, but I am wondering what the purpose of that little cutout is on the stock just below the bolt release.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sniper,

Congratulations! That's one nice looking rifle.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
The pic is misleading, it is not a cutout but rather a raised area, purely cosmetic or I guess it gives your thumb or finger a rest when depressing the bolt release. My picture taking ability is not the best. The wood has more figure than what is shown in the pics.

Herb Reiley here in TN did the stock work.

http://herbsgunshop.tripod.com/index.htm

Posts: 885 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I see I am not the only one with a secret love of flaring grip caps. They may not please our "classic is the only way" members, but I appreciate the way they stop your little finger from falling off the pistol grip. Also nice to see M1999s finally becoming reality, it was a long wait, but the result looks like it was worth it! Way to go!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sniper-

Herb is a really bright guy. I had some real difficulties working up loads for my 6.5 WSM. I called around and everyone said to call Herb Reiley, that he knew quite a bit about 6.5 WSM. He gave me a load to try. 61 gr of Reloader 22; I worked up from there but stuck with his original load. He knows his stuff, you have done yourself proud with him. I would be interested in knowing the load you are using in your 6.5 WSM?

While, I am a "classic" and "english" style stock fan myself, it does not keep you from admiring another style. For example, if you were really attracted to blondes or brunettes and a really pretty red-head walks down the street, are't you going to look at her?!?!

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I was wondering what you thought about his load recommendations? He said they were on the conservative side. I have not worked any loads yet. My dies are on the way and should be heading to the range soon. I'll keep you posted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sniper: that's a really handsome rifle. What barrel contour is that?

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
It is a number 3 sporter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sniper-

I started at 61 gr. of Reloader 22 and walked it up to 63 grains. At 63 grains the bolt was starting to get the tiniest bit sticky and being a little gun-shy from previous episodes with WW760, I stopped. 61 grains was grouping .5 MOA so, why mess with success. I have a 1 in 8 twist which might be a little tight causing some pressure build-up.

Good luck

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I have the same twist. Have you chronographed any of your loads?

one of us
posted Hide Post
congrats, its always nice when a project comes togeather.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote