THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    English/American Classic Stock Pattern Review [pics inside]

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

English/American Classic Stock Pattern Review [pics inside]
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Please take a look at the rough draft of the parrtern for my MRC1999 CM RH 6.5X55.

What would you change. I need to know very soon so I can give the okay to start carving my blank.

Your input is appreciated...

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I would prefer a little more drop in the heal. The shadow line on the cheek piece is far to low. The forend looks a little long for my taste.

Just IMHO coffee

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty good to me, but if it were mine I would want to give it more drop at the heel, shorten the fore-end and give the fore-end a fair bit of trimming and taper it to an ebony tip.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13508 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
This is what I'm talking about. This line needs to be drawn up a little closer to the actual cheek piece.

No doubt you're a big guy, but that will have nothing to do with the suggestions. They are just opinions though. Get it the way YOU like it. That's the important thing.

Terry

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Open the grip. Get rid of what appears to be a reverse pitch in the comb. Shorten the forend to 10 inches

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
If it's "English" you want, I'd got to about 8.5"-9" on the forend.

The 404 below has a 9 & 1/4" forend.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
If it's "English" you want, I'd got to about 8.5"-9" on the forend.

The 404 below has a 9 & 1/4" forend.

Show off popcorn

Damn, that's beautiful. I suppose it's being engraved?

Terry

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Chris:

Beautiful rifle. Bill Soverns is doing a similar style for my son's pre-64 model 70 .30-06 rifle.

That gun is damn near perfection. If it had a 1/4 rib, than perfection is what it would be in my book.

Outstanding. I look forward to seeing it!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I like it without the quarter rib. Looks good as-is to me. Well, except that my monogram ain't on it, lol.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I sent off recomendations to the stockmaker. He will [1] tightning up the sculpted lines on the cheek piece. [2] Shorten and thin the fore end [such as the Heym]. [3] Drop the comb and heel slightly [such as the Heym]. [4] Oh and my favorite; up-sweeping the fore-end. I prefer this to rounded.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Soverns:
Open the grip. Get rid of what appears to be a reverse pitch in the comb. Shorten the forend to 10 inches

Just for clarification, where should the measurment be taken from?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lot of work yet, Might want to start over and just find another pattern. Make life easyer! Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Lot of work yet, Might want to start over and just find another pattern. Make life easyer! Big Grin

No...we are on the way now

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Soverns:

Just for clarification, where should the measurment be taken from?

I've always taken the measurement from the front of the receiver.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You certainly are! dancing

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
quote:

You certainly are! dancing

tonight sure is my night. Three different forums with posts similar....