Notify
Tools

Savage trigger adjustment
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
My buddy just bought a Savage in 7RM.

I think the trigger is horrible...It is about 6 lbs...

How are these adjusted?

It is not one of the new Accutriggers.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
web page Try this site. Picked it up some where but never tried it.

Posts: 210 | Location: Smithfield, NC, USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tryed and tryed to ajust savage triggers with out good results. When I get them light enough the fireing pin drops when not intended they will not stay ajusted. I just go ahead and buy timmy triggers for them.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
I was shown this trick by a friend of mine and it works very well for savages.Go to the local hardware store and buy a spring that has 2 inch straight wire that hooks around to hook into sreeen doors.They make them that have this 2 inch hooks on both ends.The whole thing is about six inches long all together. This hooks are made out of wire that is small in diameter then the springs on the savage trigger.Take the action out of the stock and with a pair of needle nose pliers remove the old spring.Cut the new hooked end of the new spring off at the start of the spring's coils, and then bend it into the shape of the original spring.Most of the time these end up around three to two and a half pounds pull.And doesn't cost more thab $1.98.Plus save the other half of the new spring for the next savage trigger job.It works out just fine.
Muskrat
live free or die!

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did the work on the trigger as the website shows. I was not satisfied, so I bought an aftermarket trigger. That was simlpe and quick. I think there are three such triggers $50-70 .Take your pick.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gaterouse, check out this site, I was able to knock my Savage's trigger to 3 1/2 lbs. with no creep or overtravel- http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage110trigger.html

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I simply removed the trigger and polished the sides of it with some 400 grit sandpaper and the inside metal bracket that the sides of the trigger makes contact with. Then you can adjust up the other settings, it made a world of difference. Its light and crisp now.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have 2 110's, put Timneys in both. I think the sear engagement adjustment makes it better that the factory trigger - gets rid of the awefull creep.

one of the articles above talked about modifying the factory trigger with a set screw for the sear engagement- you basicly have a timney if you do that.

I don't have a scale, but I "think" mine breaks around 2 pounds. Timneys are a good hunting trigger, you can get better lighter triggers than these.

Posts: 12 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote