Find
Notify
Tools

Flat bottom screw holes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
I'm wondering how some of you accomplish this. When drilling holes for sights and things do you square up the bottom and how do you do it?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
John,

I basically turn a twist drill into a flat bottom mill. I grind it flat, and then with a diamond stone, hand cut a relief angle on each half like a 2 flute mill.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can buy suitable countersinks from Forester or Brownells

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I use a two flute mill, but I do that kind of work in bridgport.

If I don't have a mill that fits, then I make a flat bottom drill like shown above.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those countersink that Duane is talking about work, period. And well worth the money. They can be had in 6-48 or 8-40 size and flat bottom or Weaver style countersink.

You can also get step drills from J&L for the same purpose.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think he's asking about a flat bottom in the threaded portion of a blind hole. A #6 Weaver countersink won't do much for that application. Westpac's suggestion looks like a good one. I'm going to try his idea of hand stoning the relief angle. Lord knows I have a drawer full of junk drill bits.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
I think he's asking about a flat bottom in the threaded portion of a blind hole. A #6 Weaver countersink won't do much for that application. Westpac's suggestion looks like a good one. I'm going to try his idea of hand stoning the relief angle. Lord knows I have a drawer full of junk drill bits.

HMMM, then why would you even care if the bottom was flat. I never even considered it. I am humbled.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Actually, I thank both Malm and Duane for there input even though they're for two different situations. I have a complete set of the countersinks for burying screw heads and now I have a great technique for squaring the bottoms of drill holes prior to tapping. I've been hanging around here for 7 years now and I continue to learn new things here almost every day.

My thanks to all,

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:

HMMM, then why would you even care if the bottom was flat. I never even considered it. I am humbled.

Well, when you only have this much room for threads > <, you don't want to waste this much room > < on the pointy end of the drill bit. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As i need them, I've been making single lip "D" bits out of O1 or W1 and hardening with a torch. I can make them just over the head diameter and they cut real well in the mill. I have had chatter problems in a drill press with a less than rigid setup.
Greg

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote