Rechamber Ruger African to 9.3x64?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Should this work well?

What about feeding?

Thanks,
David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Yes this should work as the 9.3x64 Brenneke case is slightly larger in all the right places. Feeding wise it may or may not require swapping the magazine box for the 375 Ruger magazine box. Any rail work to properly feed the 9.3x64 should be done by the gunsmith who does the chambering work - the bolt face also had to be opened up to accommodate the larger rim diameter.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I think you are better off with a different action if you want to build a 9.3x64.

Nothing wrong with the Ruger, but it will greatly limit magazine capacity.

A M70, m700 or m98 with a fish belly magazine or a m700 with an AICS magazine system would give you more firepower.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing wrong with the Ruger, but it will greatly limit magazine capacity.

Wouldn't it end up 3 down like most belted magnums in a std size box?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sell the Ruger and buy a SAKO in 9.3x66 (if a 375 H&H will not meet your needs)
Better rifle, more powerful and the stock wont split.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

Just exploring right now - I like all the other "African" features of the Ruger.

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
If otherwise you like the Ruger, then change the chambering. It ain't particularly hard.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sell the Ruger and buy a SAKO in 9.3x66 (if a 375 H&H will not meet your needs)
Better rifle, more powerful and the stock wont split.

That¨s not correct, 9,3 Brenneke has more power than SAKO 9,3x66. And SAKO´s stock would split as possible as Rugers.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suggest you look at the back issues of Rifle where they converted a "normal" M 77 to 375 H&H .... the stock lasted 10 rounds.

To suggest that Ruger wood is equal to SAKO is just silly. Start with wood quality and no crossbolting in a Ruger. I won't even get into the bolt lift, trigger, accuracy, quality of fit and finish and so on.

There's also the issue of trying to get a 64 mm cartridge in an 06 length action as he did not indicate he was using a Ruger RMS, which was never made in 9.3x62 anyway but would have been long and wide enough for the 64.

Just buy a 375 H&H and be done with it. More bullets and loads and ammo available at every corner store in Africa and Alaska.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger Hawkeye African comes in a 9.3x62 and punching it out to a 9.3x64 and tweeking the rails won't change much..It can be done..Its done all the time on std. 98 Mauser...

Keep in mind that with judicious handloading the 9.3x62 will come within 100 FPS of the 9.3x64 so is it worth it..I can duplicate my standard .375 H&H load with a 9.3x62, but I do underload my 375 to 2500 FPS with a 300 gr. bullet as it performs better on buffalo IMO at the somewhat slower velocity..

All in all its hard to beat a 9.3x62 loaded with a max or near max charge of RL-15 and a 320 gr. Woodleigh in a 24 or 26 inch barrel. One of my 9.3s gets 2444 FPS and the other 2512 FPS on the chronograph 10 shot average taking out the high and the low..9.3x62s really respond to long tubes and modern US powders.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
45-70 Can you explain your concerns about converting a Ruger 77 in 9.3x62 to a 9,3x64. I have a 9.3x64 that was built on a std Mauser 98 action. All that was done was open up the bolt face and touch up the feed rails. It feeds great. The Ruger action is the same length as the Mauser. Ruger chambers the 77 for 300 Win mag which is 66mm in length,With no problems, so why will a 64 mm case not feed. I also have a Ruger 77 MkI in 280 and the magzine on it accepts 3- 9.3x64 rounds just fine. The bolt also picks the rounds up out of the magazine. Please explain the problem. Now my next comment may be close to blasphemy. I know that Ray loves his 9.3x62 and with "judicious " handloading the ballistics can be improved. However if that same "judicious" handloading is applied to the 9.3x64 it will beat the x62 by quite a bit more than 100fps. At least with the 250 and 286 gr bullets I have tried.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a 9.3x64 that was built on a std Mauser 98 action. All that was done was open up the bolt face and touch up the feed rails. It feeds great.
Just same with my Husqvarna 246. SAKOs quality used to be very high before BERETTA days but nowadays it´s IHMO in quite normal european level.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neck the 375 Ruger cartridge down .009" in the neck, and you will have a 9,3 Newton. It will fit perfectly, and has a bit more oomph than the 9,3x64.

You can also buy 35 Newton Cases from Jamison and neck them up .008" to get the same effect.

Credit goes to Tom from Cody .

PS Save your original barrel. You now have a way cool switch barrel rig!!

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote