Find
Notify
Tools

Bottom metal question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
Hey guys, Happy New Years! Recently I put up a post about three positioned safties and got some good feed back. Thanks!
Was reading the CNC Specialties post and it brought up another question.
Question:: Is after market bottom metal such as Blackburn, Sunny Hill or whoever, the way it's done these days? Is it cheap to take a 1909 Arg. floorplate and add a Wisner straddle plate done right considered a cheap way to do this? I myself like the looks of the straddle floorplate, but will putting in an after market bottom metal add more value or status to a top of a line custom? In your opinion does one reign over the other, if so why?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
IMO the skill of the craftsman determines the value added. Standard military triggerguards can be modified into beautiful custom pieces, while pretty much anyone can use one of the after-market assemblies.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks Toomany Tools, the reason i asked is because i have a handful of the 1909 Args. on hand and plan to use them up on some projects. I know there is a lot of work involved in doing so and dont mind, keeps me out of trouble stir. I have never used the pre made bottom metal as of yet, so i'm kind of wandering is the Blackburn worth the weight or is the Sunny Hill of the same quality, should one venture off down that road. Thought about ording someones just to see for myself as to where the quality and hoop-la lies in pre made bottom metal...

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, for one thing, there is the size issue. People order the Blackburn and the Sunny Hill to get the correct size for the cartridge in question (there are some who claim that their sizes aren't correct anyway). Obviously, you aren't going to use a 1909 guard for a.404 Jeffrey, and its going to have to be modified for any of the short mag calibers.

There is a fellow who posts on here, Gunmaker to be exact, who modified a 1909 Argentine bottom metal into a thing of beauty. If you do a search of his posts you might find the photo of it.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
22 WRF: It'll have to be modified if it is anything other than then parent cartridge, and dolled up to take away the military look. Thats what i'm asking about - if there is work in both types of triggerguards, other than very long cartridges the 1909 is as nice as an aftermarket. I'm assumeing the work in an aftermarket isn't as involved, but that either can make an outstanding edition to any custom rifle as long as the time and care are put into it. Just asking if the 1909 is ok to use, some things have changed in the custom field since i did it a few years back and now i'm getting back at it in a more upgraded way and can take my time to do these things better and have more time to do them right without the public breathing down my back...(had a repair shop and tried to do customs at same time,) done right you, at least I could not take the full amount of time and energy to do the best that one could do! I'm positioning myself to be able to do nothing but custom work, something i enjoy doing. Dont know if i'll cut the mustard here or not, that will have to wait untill i get everything up and running and post some finished projects. Really doesn't matter, i enjoy doing it regaurdless, and well this is a fun place to be because there are some real crafts people here and i"ve enjoyed the ride so far!!! thumb