Find
Notify
Tools

Stove piping in semi autos.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted
I was curious as a friends 45 ACP tends to "stove pipe" a round periodically... What causes this ???

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Holding the gun loosly will do just that. The gun is recoil operated and requires a certain amount of resistance in order for the slide to cycle completely and with sufficient force so as to kick the empty out of the way before the slide returns to battery. If you relax your grip, even just a little, the slide will have nothing to react against and the case won't be thrown clear. The term is called "riding the recoil". You can make the gun less sensative to this type of malfunction by properly lubricating it and maintaining a firm grip.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If the shooter, for whatever reason (age, handicap, strength, etc.), can't maintain a firm grip consistently you might want to try a lighter recoil spring.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
If the shooter, for whatever reason (age, handicap, strength, etc.), can't maintain a firm grip consistently you might want to try a lighter recoil spring.

Or better yet, switch to a revolver.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll pass that on to him... The only time it did it to me was when the last cartridge was being loaded...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
if the lip onthe magazine has been damaged or bent from being droped. may be something to look at.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can also be the angle at which the face of the ejector is ground. Should have a 1/2 milimeter or wider face on the right side front corner that tends to cause the spents to be bounced out of the ejection port.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The ejector angle can cause the problem but like anything mechanical, if it were that, it would occur regularly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
90% of the time its the magazine

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a weak mag spring combined with a bur on the follower cause this on a 1991a1 with the final or next to final rounds in the magazine at times. Couple quick swipes with a file and a new spring fixed the problem.

Weak mag springs on bedside beds are common I think since they tend to stay loaded at all times.

Josh

Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves. - Lord Byron

"They were not killing each other under Saddam."-Saaed

Posts: 407 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys... It's a brand new gun as well so I doubt a weak spring but it's been known to happen....

He's going to take it to his smith and see what's up...

Ken....