THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom stainless and walnut - It can be done!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
Over the last year I have posted some photos of the work in progress of my custom M70. It has been a long drawn out process but it is finally finished. The rifle is a combined work of Dean Zollinger and James Anderson. As I mentioned in previous posts several years ago my Dad and I decided we wanted to build a matching pair of rifles. But at the same time we wanted them to each still be unique. The intent was that after they were built we would hunt with them and enjoy them and then when it came time for Dad to pass on his guns we would pass these rifles on to my boys. That way they would each have something special that was done by Dad and Grandpa together. Thanks to the work of 2 incredibly talented gun builders my half of the project is now a reality. (Dad’s rifle will be finished in a couple weeks)

I was hesitant about going with a stainless rifle. I was concerned that it would end up looking like a rifle left in the white. But Dad and I wanted the rifles to be significantly different. Even after seeing it in progress I was sort of regretting choosing the stainless. But now that I have the rifle in hand the stainless has really grown on me and I really love how it looks with the stock I have.

James Anderson contoured the barrel to an octagon that is very trim and elegant. He also did his cloverleaf conversion to the tang as well as made a custom checkered bolt release.. He also did the same treatment to Dad’s rifle. Once James finished his work he sent the projects on to Dean Zollinger.

Dean welded on a new bolt handle, made the custom contoured scope bases, finished all the metal to a nice satin bead blasted finish. He also did all the stock work. I asked Dean for a slim and trim stock with a nice open grip. He more than fulfilled my dreams on the stock. As you can see from the photos Dean really paid attention to the little details. The screws are all indexed and the checkering is as perfect as any I have ever seen.

I apologize for my poor photos. I know they do not do justice to the work Dean and James did. My poor lighting washed out the stock and brightened up the stainless far more than reality. And they definitely cant show how amazing the rifle feels in my hands. It is balanced perfectly and feels like an extension of my hands.

Specs:

Action: Winchester M70 Classic Stainless

Caliber: 300 Winchester Magnum

Barrel: Half Moon stainless 1:10 twist 24”

Bottom Metal: Blackburn stainless

Rings: Talley stainless

Bases: Dean Zollinger custom

Scope: Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40

Stock: English Walnut

Grip cap: Fisher 2 screw

Swivel bases: Duane Wiebe custom

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely stunning!

I, too, love the look of stainless and wood.

Ken

Posts: 190 | Location: Mountains of Virginia | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations M1. You deserve it.

Just curious about the bottom metal. I have never seen a Blackburn catologed in Stainless steel. Did you have that one custom made
from a piece of stainless steel, or is it chrome moly that has been left in the white.

Goorgeous wood. Tell us a little bit more aout it.

Also, it almost looks like there was some reshaping of that trigger in order to match the contour of the Blackburn guard???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it.
level of execution matters more to me than blue or stainless.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Trax,
Thank you for the compliments. It is the little details the 2 builders executed so well that make the difference.

22WRF,
The bottom metal is stainless. To the best of my knowledge Blackburn has only made a very few sets in stainless. I just happened to be lucky enough to get one of them.

You are very observant about the trigger. Dean Zollinger did re-shape and thin the trigger. He also tuned the trigger to a very light and crisp pull. I really like how it feels now.

The blank was found by a friend early on in my last deployment. He knew I was looking for a very nice blank that was just different enough to set it apart from the crowd yet still be tasteful. He found this blank and emailed me some pics for my appoval. I fell in love with it and the rest is history. I never even saw the blank in person until it was already being fitted to the rifle!!!

I do not know any more abot it than that. But I can tell you it is very dense and soid with great grain flow and proper layout. Dean said it a real pleasure to work with the stock since the wood was so nice.

Dad's stock on the other hand is causing Dean to invent all kinds of new swear words. Dad's blank is a beautiful piece of dark dense claro that is intense fiddleback tip to butt.

William Berger

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like that. Beautiful rifle. The mount bases are very well done with pleasing contours. Thanks for showing us.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Looks great Bill.
Those must be the pictures you sent me that I couldn't download from my email server. Anything over 10 meg gets stuck.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Really is beautiful.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. I do love the look of all stainless/silver metal work and a fine walnut stock.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nicely Done!!!! Congratulations to all involved.

Sigh ... that's a beauty.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Good to see the "dream" complete! Perfect timing for the upcoming season, hopefully you and your dad can break em in properly on some critters this fall.

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics, M1. You sealed the deal for me. I've been ready to order a barrel for my project but was going back and forth on blued vs. stainless. Your rifle is beautiful. I only hope mine comes close. -- Mike

Posts: 1755 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't think you're gonna sell me on the stainless... but the metalwork looks very well done and the stockmaking and design is excellent! Congrats!

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1821 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I like it!!!

Enjoy

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work all around... when are you going to blue or blacken the metal?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle looks great.
We have only made very few in stainless.
And we are going to make a few more.

Maggie Baum
CNC Specialty Products
P.O. Box 369 / 50 East 100 North
Levan, UT 84639
Phone: 801-691-8152
Email: maggie@cncspecialtyproducts.com
http://cncspecialtyproducts.com/

Posts: 102 | Location: www.cncspecialtyproducts.com | Registered: 29 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really cool, I hate red recoil pads, but that is why there is chocolate and vanilla! Even with the red pad, it is sure beautiful. I have a stainless and walnut one that Serengeti did for me, and I really like the looks, I tend to grab it a lot when heading to the hunt.

Congrats on a fine rifle!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the compliments on the rifle. I was seriously considering having the metal coated but the more I handle the rifle the more I like it. The stainless is really growing on me. Besides, it is kind of fun having a very unique stainless/walnut rifle.

William Berger

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
thumb

Now all you need to do Bill, is find something to Hunt with it.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
It was so neat watching this one come together.

Very nice!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
I really like the looks of this gun. Kind of a traditional/modern mix.

The only thing I would have done different is went with more of an no shine oil, and a Matte colored Leupold instead.

But looks real good

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanker

Do you know what method Mr. Zollinger used to match the finish of the triggerguard with that of the barreled action? Or maybe I shouldn't say "finish" but rather surface texture.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Looks to me where the flash didnt brighten the metal, that it does have a frost look to it. Finely beedblasted, I like that look on stainless steel!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
22WRF,
The metal was hand polished then bead dlasted for a very soft satin finish. I do not know the exact details of what Mr. Zollinger used other than that he finished it by bead blasting.

I really need to learn how to take much better photos with good lighting. It really did brighten the metal and make the stock seem much lighter than it really is.

William Berger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill-

That is one gorgeous rifle!!! I really like that swept grip; great lines.

Congratulations!!!!

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I like everything about it.

Steve

Posts: 49 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen.

Posts: 16105 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice... congrats on an elegant and classic rifle!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love it! How do you get a hold of Blackburn for bottom metal information?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now thats one beautiful rifle!