New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 48 Egyptian Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are these military actions good or strong enough to build a custom big bore rifle like the 458 Winchester? What is the difference between model 48 and model 98? Any insight will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
The M48 Egytian is the same as a Yugo M48. They generally come without crests or markings and usually have stamped bottom metal. They are classified as an intermediate action and are about two tenths of an inch (0.2") shorter than the standard M98. I'll let the gunsmiths on the Board tell you if it can be made to safely feed and fire the .458 Win Mag. I think the .376 Steyr is the perfect length for this action.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply! I have since searched the site and found tons of info about the M48. I did not realize that it was the same as the yugo M48. I still would like to know if it is okay to chamber to the 458 Winchester. Thanks.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not a gunsmith, nor an expert at most anything, but from everything that I have heard/read, the M48 is too short for standard lenght cartridges. Not enought magazine room.

Coot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not only are the magazines too short, if the bolt face is like a 48 or a 24/47, it does not have an opposing "nose" that is opposite the extractor.

When you open up the boltface for the magnum, the depth of it will get shallower as you approach the edge.(most mauser bolts have a radius cut instead of a square shoulder on the outside)

It is quite easy to ruin the bolt so that nothing will stay on it, without the projection that is opposite the extractor to help you out.

Michael S.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If your 'smith is careful, this can be done. Lot easier on a full length action though. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote