New
Find
Notify
Tools

Second cross bolt / best system
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please give some advise on adding a second x bolt to a 458 win mag. Is a hidden x bolt ok or better than a traditional one you can see ? Is one better than the other ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have one rifle crossbolted with bolts you can see (sadly they're allen head not the traditional spanner wrench style), had another one before that had blind crossbolts with wood plugs. Actually just remembered I have one more out there like that now (had split between the mag and trigger area in the stock and needed to be fixed).

A stockmaker/civil engineer by the name of chic worthing posted a good explanation on here once of how a crossbolt worked. by compressing the wood, therefore resisting the tendency to split under recoil. I would think that a traditional crossbolt might work a bit better from that regard.

Most importantly, traditional ones LOOK way way WAY better. I'm serious, I've never seen a plugged one that looked worth a darn. I also don't know how it could be done completely blind but I don't think the "compression" would work as well.

I'm sure others will have more technical or maybe results based data.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Find a copy of the 1984 Gun Digest. Ther is a great article on hidden cross bolts that was written by Jack Lott.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention the Lott article. I just happen to have saved a picture from the article.

I have used this method of stock reinforcemnt on a number of rifles. None have failed.

If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+ 1 on the Lott method. I've also used it to repair/re-bed stocks that have split/cracked just like the examples in the drawing.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote