New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: "High-Cap" M700 Remington
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I haven't seen the model your talking about, but you can make a superior Remington High Cap rifle by bolting on an Accuracy International Chassis. They have 10rd mags of superior quality available........DJ

-Remington LTR in a Folding AI chassis (10rd mags available)

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
You can tell I am getting old...I can't remember for the life of me whether they were going to be just for the .223, or just the 7.62, or both. Anyway, it is the new Remington LEO M700-Tactical rifle. The fellas I know who shot them at the seminar really liked 'em and one of those guys was a company-grade CO of a Special forces unit in 'Nam, who will be a writer for the new magazine the NRA is about to announce. He has some pretty definitive ideas about what is a good rifle and what is not for sniping/counter-sniping (he helped save the Army sniping program after 'Nam), and he likes this one very much so far.

He hasn't seen an actual "retail" one yet, so of course doesn't know if they will be identical to the ones Remington had at the seminar. And obviously, I haven't seen a "real production run" one of them yet either.

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey dj,
I thought I was an unreconstructed precision rifle slut, but you are making me feel like a piker.

I don't like the ergonomics of the AI rifles I have shot, but their mags are indeed built tough as brick shit houses.

H-S Precision sells the bottom metal and 10 round mags that are a "plug and play" option for Remingtons that have stocks made by H-S (VSS, PSS, LTR, etc.). Not too spendy. They have a single stack configuration, so they stick down below the stock a fair ways. My TRG-22 and Blaser LRSII both have double stack mags.

I'll be interested to see if Remington is just marketing the H-S setup (that would be natural, and easy), or if they came up with some bottom metal that makes AR-15/M-16 mags usable on their .223's or M-1A/M-14 mags usable for the .308 family of cartridges.

IF it handles M-14 mags, and IF it works, Then I will buy one and try to wear it out. That would be very tasty.

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
At a recent writer's seminar in Texas, Remington was showing their new 700 model, which uses US military hi-cap magazines, both new & surplus...

Has anyone seen one on the market yet? I'm curious about their asking price at retail....

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with John on this one. A way to use M14 mags on my Heavy Barrel 700 would be a treat. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote