THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a 1909 DWM mauser still worth converting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'd like to build a custom mauser in 30-06 to take to Africa, and am looking at a numbers matching DWM 1909 agentine as the donor rifle.

I love the look of the old mauser actions, but is this still worth doing, considering the expense involved?

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
worth doing to what extent is probably the question. and in what cartridge? for price it is damn hard to beat a cz550 and they chamber them in such an array it is mind boggling, I saw their add in a magazine the other day, I was blown away.

but it won't be a custom. you could buy the cz and add money, and have a customized cz. but is that your goal?

I can't remember the prices for all this stuff okay, but I love lists and love thinking about this stuff so will list out some things.

-action price
-surface grind
-heat treat (please guys, don't debate this here, it's just an item on a list)
-drill and tap
-bolt handle
-safety
-built up thumbpad on bolt release
-built up pad on floorplate release
-modify magazine box for cartridge (guessing you're not going with a x57 chambering or something close)
-modify rails
-non-military trigger

Now, this isn't too bad IMO, it does assume you staying in the standard length plethora of cartridges.

your fees outside that point will be the same regardless of the action, if you're going custom. barrel, hardware (sights, sling attachments etc) and stockwork won't change based on the platform.

and remember, there are SO many options. I just had a military shroud and buehler safety, that I already had sitting around, installed on a sporterized mauser I've got (not an 09) for 40 bucks. figure the parts were 40. or you could go 2 or 3 position side swing and be 150-300 I think.

I think in the end, for a MAUSER, you'd still be cheaper than a custom action.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS
If you are going to keep the crest, which isn't the most practical, but sure is pretty, the 1908 brazilian is badass. and I know there are tons more crests out there that are cool.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YES

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I still think it is.

$125 pawnshop special.

9.3X62

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
NO, NO, NO, I'll give ya fifty buck right now for it! The lugs are too soft and you'll get set back the first time you shoot it, to keep this from happening the fifty still stands and I'll throw it in the scrap pile with the rest of mine. Wink

Go for it!!!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:

$125 pawnshop special.

9.3X62

Terry

Beautiful rifle, much what I had in mind. Did you do this yourself, or have someone build it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
worth doing to what extent is probably the question. and in what cartridge? for price it is damn hard to beat a cz550 and they chamber them in such an array it is mind boggling, I saw their add in a magazine the other day, I was blown away.

but it won't be a custom. you could buy the cz and add money, and have a customized cz. but is that your goal?

I can't remember the prices for all this stuff okay, but I love lists and love thinking about this stuff so will list out some things.

-action price
-surface grind
-heat treat (please guys, don't debate this here, it's just an item on a list)
-drill and tap
-bolt handle
-safety
-built up thumbpad on bolt release
-built up pad on floorplate release
-modify magazine box for cartridge (guessing you're not going with a x57 chambering or something close)
-modify rails
-non-military trigger

Now, this isn't too bad IMO, it does assume you staying in the standard length plethora of cartridges.

your fees outside that point will be the same regardless of the action, if you're going custom. barrel, hardware (sights, sling attachments etc) and stockwork won't change based on the platform.

and remember, there are SO many options. I just had a military shroud and buehler safety, that I already had sitting around, installed on a sporterized mauser I've got (not an 09) for 40 bucks. figure the parts were 40. or you could go 2 or 3 position side swing and be 150-300 I think.

I think in the end, for a MAUSER, you'd still be cheaper than a custom action.

Red

Yeah, I live by the list - it puts everything in perspective. Thanks for the information!

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akalinin:
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:

$125 pawnshop special.

9.3X62

Terry

Beautiful rifle, much what I had in mind. Did you do this yourself, or have someone build it?

I hired out the metal work and did the wood myself.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure the hell hope so because I just bought one from an AR member for a custom! It does have most of the "list" already done so I feel the price was fair.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Be sure to have it heat treated first, these actions are soft as butter, some have even been known to begin to melt if exposed to temperatures in excess of 105 degrees for more than 45 minutes . . . stir

Mike

Posts: 21689 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Be sure to have it heat treated first, these actions are soft as butter, some have even been known to begin to melt if exposed to temperatures in excess of 105 degrees for more than 45 minutes . . . stir

That's hilarious. In all seriousness, though, heat treating is definitely on the list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my book you get to tell everyone that you picked out the parts and put it together.Best of all if you outshoot their groups.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If possible, leave the crest alone and don't remove the charger hump....people want their actions identifiable.

The old days...everyone surface ground..of course, you now remove the case hardening! and in the bargain, the action has lost it's history

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

That's hilarious. In all seriousness, though, heat treating is definitely on the list.

Yup, I had one melt in the rifle rack of my pickup. More stir

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
If possible, leave the crest alone and don't remove the charger hump....people want their actions identifiable.

The old days...everyone surface ground..of course, you now remove the case hardening! and in the bargain, the action has lost it's history

Is it still possible to mount a scope?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Save the crest, use a G&H sidemount and have them install it. Will cost plenty but is proportionate to what else you are spending to get a first class custom rifle.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sidemount is an alternative..I guess..I've just welded up so damn many side mount holes, I know it's not a long term popular solution.

Instead: Put the front mount just ahead of the receiver ring. You then can use either a Suhler claw mount or a swing mount by Recknagel, EAW...etc

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to build a custom mauser in 30-06 to take to Africa, and am looking at a numbers matching DWM 1909 agentine as the donor rifle.

I love the look of the old mauser actions, but is this still worth doing, considering the expense involved?

Whether its worth doing an old mauser and to what extent,- is entirely up to your own judgement.
I could easily take a neat custom Rem700 to Africa, (like the few examples belonging to Hammerdown HERE )
..and still have the 100% time of my life.
Even if one does want a mauser, it dont have to be all about old metal and fancy walnut.
New_Guys Titanium Synthetic M98 is a truelly modern age class act... thumb
If some folks cant take to top end mausers with plastic, then maybe they should also try leaving their satphone and LRF at home and hunt with of the period loads,sights and clothes, whilst in Africa.... stir

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No considering the expense I wouldn't do it. But if you like throwing money around go for it.

One can by a modern action that doesn't need all the reworking and come up with a rifle that is just as nice for less money.

One that doesn't need to be drilled and tapped,bolt handle bent, heat treated new safety installed, and anything else one does to a 100 year old action. Just to bring it up modren rifle standards.

Not that you won't have a nice rifle when you are done and your smith well be happy with you when you pay the bill.

Personnaly I buy Ruger markII stainless actions for my new rifles. But they don't fit the bill for some people.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd just buy a NEF Handi-Rifle in a .30-06 and be done with it. Maybe a Remington 710 if I felt like I needed a few extra rounds in a magazine. They're both much cheaper, will kill game just as well and you can get them with plastic stocks which would be a big plus.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Luv ya Terry!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I thought you where deer camp today. I'm in Dallas. You want to meet me for breakfast?

Terry

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
$3,995.00 sythetic

$7,300.00 wood

3 years

Satterleearms.com

Stuart/Timan

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess the guy who just wants a shovel don't care whether it's from Ace Hardware or Tru Value

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I guess that is why we all sit around drooling over those classic stainless and synthetic rifles from the past, who need workmanship and beauty when you can just have function. I always wondered why those guys that drive Ferraris don't just drive a Yugo, they both get you from here to there.

Mike

Posts: 21689 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I've seen the "Yugo's" you shoot, errr, I mean drive, Mike. Want to trade for a 1998 Subaru with 236,000 miles? Wink

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote