THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    if you had a model 700 la what would you have built???

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

if you had a model 700 la what would you have built???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
looking for ideas on a project gun thinking about a heavy barrel 7mm rem. any other ideas?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a long action, magnum bolt face, I'd built a 257 Weatherby

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same dilema a few months ago. It would help to know what you have or its intended purpose (elk/deer, Africa, just target s, etc).

If you don't have a 338WM or equivalent, I'd go that route. If you do then a 375HH. If the bigger stuff is already covered, the 257WBY is a good suggestion. Or, a 257/7mm REM magnum (Neck a 7mmRM mag case to 257) wildcat would be fun and unusual. Cheaper and more available brass but dies will cost a little more.

RH

Posts: 79 | Location: Northwest Atlanta | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by himmelrr:
If you don't have a 338WM or equivalent, I'd go that route. If you do then a 375HH...

I was thinking similar thoughts with the 338 except using the newer non-belted cases like the 300 RUM.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A caliber that seems to be pretty 'stable' meaning that it is pretty straightforward to load for, gives reasonable performance results, and is pretty simple design wise is the 300 RUM. Not a lot of choices on brass--but if you can stand remmy brass, it sure is a potent 30 cal.

Just might be tempted.....being one for something just a touch off though, the first thought I had was 338 Lapua!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you try to build a RUM on a standard LA you will probably have to relieve some metal at the magazine box on the receiver. I recently built a 257 STW on a 700 LA and tried to get a 300 RUM into the magazine box just for a comparison and the opening into the magazine box isn't wide enough for the RUM case to fit through. I love my 300 RUM but the idea of building it into a 338 RUM has definitely crossed my mind. You could also do a 257 STW if you want about the flattest deer round possible. I get 3750 fps with a 110 accubond and 78 gr of R-22. Just a thought.

Posts: 108 | Location: West Fargo, ND | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from ND:
If you try to build a RUM on a standard LA you will probably have to relieve some metal at the magazine box on the receiver.

Remington makes a special mag box for the RUM cartridge. It has windows cut into the side for the shoulder. Simply swap out the box. No problamo!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
.264 Mag if bolt face is Mag

6.5/06 if not

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"if you had a model 700 la what would you have built???"

A paperweight comes to mind. Wink I could not resist and rest assured that I will get plenty of flack over this from a friend and former forum member.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a standard bolt face, I'd build a 35 Whelen with a 22" Douglas # 4 barrel.

If a Magnum bolt, I'd built a 7mm Mag with # 3 24" Douglas or Shilen.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
If you try to build a RUM on a standard LA you will probably have to relieve some metal at the magazine box on the receiver.

Remington makes a special mag box for the RUM cartridge. It has windows cut into the side for the shoulder. Simply swap out the box. No problamo!

Yes this is correct the box is called a Wyatt box. One thing to consider is if you are building a rifle and utmost accuracy is important and you want to build a 300 RUM, you need to make sure that your smith has a reamer with a very short throat or you will not be able to reach the lands with the bullet, and still fit in the magazine. The 700 can be lengthened slightly(very simple) by removing metal from the back of the action box cutout, this will allow a little more OAL for this cartridge. Just someting to think about.

You also said that possibly the 338 RUM. If you need one or just want one, my oppinion is that this is a great choice. The 338 RUM is a tad bit shorter than the 300 RUM and will work great in the 700 action. I just had one made on a lengthened 700 action and it is a great round. I had it built on a lengthened action because I wanted to shoot the Sierra 250 and 300 gr MK's which are unusually long. The standard lenth action will work fine for most hunting bullets but I would still make shure whoever chambers it matches the throat to the appropriate cartridge OAL for the bullets you plan to shoot. My rifle shoots .6-.7 moa with Swift A frames and sub .5 moa with the Sierras, very easy to load for and accurate.

Hope this gives you some helpful info.

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silwane:
quote:
quote:

Yes this is correct the box is called a Wyatt box.

Actually it's a Remington factory mag box. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...EM%20ULTRA,%20MAGNUM

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
There is NO WAY I need another rifle, so I am not suggesting this as some kind of a super do-anything-in-particular choice. Would build it just because it would be something I'd like to shoot once in a while.

I can think of at least 20 other chamberings which would be just as effective for almost any medium game hunting rig......

My choice would be a plain vanilla, standard, 6.5x57 Mauser.

Could just as well be a .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 6.5 Japanese, .260 Remington, or "you pick it". That's what I'd pick at this point in time.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If magnum boltface, a 338 RUM. I have had a couple and am gathering parts for my version of an "ultimate" RUM.

If standard, a 280 AI in a lightweight package.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McCray:
If magnum boltface, a 338 RUM. I have had a couple and am gathering parts for my version of an "ultimate" RUM.

I just finished a 338 on a 300 RUM case. It ought to be sweet!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
257 weatherby, that's what I did

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
257 Ackley

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
A very well made 700 is an accurate rifle. They can be nice to own if the extractors don't break and the bolt handles don't fall off. But if all I had was an action here is what I would do: trade the action in toward an action that wouldn't take so much "blueprinting" and parts replacement to correct.

You read too much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You read too much.

A combination of first hand and second hand information...................and reading.

Here we go again. stir As to the original question, either the equally boring 30-06 or 300 Win Mag, depending on the bolt face.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know, I've never seen a model 700 built in the classic British style. A .318WR model 700 in that style might look pretty nice.

It just might, but it would still be a Remington 700.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote