New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby 30-378 Extraction Issue
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend of mine has a Weatherby Mark V in calibre 30-378.

The rifle was originally a 300 Weatherby and then subsequently fitted with an Accumark 30-378 barrel. He is having issues extracting live rounds. The rifle will not eject the round. He has to pull the trigger and then the bolt will come back sufficiently enough to extract the round.

This doesn’t happen with when ejecting just the shell.

Any ideas on what could cause this? Any remedies?

Posts: 392 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you mean he can load a live round, then work the action and it will not eject from the bolt face? But if he pulls the trigger the bolt will come back far enough for the ejector to hit the rim and eject it? And if he fires the round it extracts and ejects normally?

Posts: 3716 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Your Mk5 is not broken, it is just chambered for a cartridge too long for the ejection port. Since the trigger activates the bolt stop, pulling it allows the bolt to retract enough to eject a live round. The Mk5 bolt stop is a pin that the trigger pulls down. Brass is short enough to eject as is. And since the ejector is in the bolt face, spring loaded thing, the bolt can come back, all the way out if you want.
The smith who did this should have told you about it.
Is there a cure? Look under the bolt and you see a groove that the stop rides in. If it is not milled as far forward as possible, then do that. If it is, then you can mill a slot in the receiver ring. Or load ammo shorter.
Or do what I do when this happens; if you load it, shoot it.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Your Mk5 is not broken, it is just chambered for a cartridge too long for the ejection port. Since the trigger activates the bolt stop, pulling it allows the bolt to retract enough to eject a live round. The Mk5 bolt stop is a pin that the trigger pulls down. Brass is short enough to eject as is. And since the ejector is in the bolt face, spring loaded thing, the bolt can come back, all the way out if you want.
The smith who did this should have told you about it.
Is there a cure? Look under the bolt and you see a groove that the stop rides in. If it is not milled as far forward as possible, then do that. If it is, then you can mill a slot in the receiver ring. Or load ammo shorter.
Or do what I do when this happens; if you load it, shoot it.

My sincerest thanks DPCD. I will inform him of that.

Posts: 392 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote