New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR 15 questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was juts wondering a few things about AR 15's. Firstly can barrelss be switched on them by the average joe with hand tools. For example could you change a 223 rem barrel over to a 243 win with out too much difficultly? and have it so you could switch back and forth realatively easily? Also what are the better AR 15 clones. From what a sales person told me Colt no longer sold the AR 15 to civilians.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<mydardolnameisjim>
posted
The 243 is too long for the ar 15. Lots of other companies are making ar 15's. Check Quality parts/Bushmaster as I have one and its as good or better than C. Dpms would be another one to look at. Only a caliber as short as a 223 would work. As far as doing your own gun smithing on them, I don't know much about that.

<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
The AR-10 from Armalite can be had in .308 and .243. Some custom shops are redoing them in the WSM carts.

AR-15's can be modified by changing uppers, stocks, and other assesories. They are limited by magazine length as pointed out above.If it's longer than a .223 Rem, it's too long. If the head is bigger than a .223 Rem it's too big.

There are tools availible to change barrels, but the easiest way is to set up different uppers and just switch the entire upper. Thakes about 30seconds to switch an upper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
By the average Joe with hand tools? If you mean tools you already have, NO. But the tool investment and skills are not nearly the hardest gunsmithing to learn. The AR is designed around the 223 and all attempts at conversions I've seen have been touchy in functioning. But you can buy an upper built by one of the top High Power gunsmiths for around 900 bucks that can win the National Championships and shoot 1/2 minute at all yard lines back to 600 yards with proper bullets. Every High Power shooter I know has at least 2 uppers.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
AR-15's and their clones are not very hard to build, but you do need some specialized tools and a good working knowledge of what to do with them. They don't require machine tools to change barrels but there are many things that you need to know before you go tearing into one.. AR-15's have been built with uppers that will shoot practically everything from a .22 LR to single shot .50BMG's. It is an ideal platform for switching complete uppers and bolts. If you really don't have the skills, you can just go out and buy some pretty well made uppers in various calibers. Unfortunately, there are alot of AR-15's out there built by guys in their basements who don't have a CLUE and thus, all the jams and feeding failures you see at the range. Properly done they are amazing guns.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
markus-

The AR-15 family is very easy to work on, however you do need some specialized tools.

Go to www.ar15.com and check out their Forums. There is one titled Build Your Own that should answer almost anything you'd ever want to know.

Feel free to email me direct as well with any questions, I've got "a little" experience working on them. I'll help you any way I can.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks alot guys. Its defiantly something I am interested in but being a canadian its hard to even get exposure to these types of fire arms. No one carries them and the only ones I have seen are in stores in WA. But I have seen some which I thought were ar 15's in magazines that stated calibers like 260 rem and 243. But I must have been mistaken. what exactly do you mean by build your own though?

Mark

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markus:
what exactly do you mean by build your own though?

markus-

It's one of the forum titles on ar15.com. It is all about working on your rifle, not necessarily building one from scratch. You'll find topics on rebarreling, swapping triggers, sights, installing float tubes, etc.

Go take a look, it will answer a lot of your questions. Go to ar15.com, click on Forums, then on Build Your Own. (That's the title of the forum, but it would be more accurate if it said Work On Your Own).

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Given that the .243-Winchester chambering in the ArmaLite AR-10 rifles has been out a while, you "might" find a used one somewhere at a semi-decent price.

Just a thought.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote