Find
Notify
Tools

dismount bbl to rust blue?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Is it standard practice to dismount the barrel from a Mauser action prior to rust bluing the action and barrel?

Reason I ask is that I don't have a barrel/action wrench and would either need to make/acquire one or have a smith do it for me ... not as easy as it once was here.

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never have.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always do.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1821 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thoroughly agree with Steve...saves hours of geief!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
I always do.

Yup. Me too. You will be surprised how much grease/oil hides in the barrel threads. No amount of cleaning and or vodoo will remove it all. It will find a way to surface and ruin you day.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Question for those of you who remove the barrel when rust bluing......How do you reinstall the freshly reblued barrel, and tighten it securely without marring the finish? Thanks, Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Very carefully.

I wrap the barrel, where I'm going to clamp it, in a couple layers of craft paper. I then tighten the barrel vise as tight as I can so if won't twist when I tighten the receiver. I use old business cards between the action wrench and the receiver to prevent marking the front ring of the receiver. As long as all stays tight you can fairly easily tighten them up without leaving any marks.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote