New
Find
Notify
Tools

identify action please!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On one of the auctions there is a rifle with an action that looks similar to a Mexican Mauser as well as a Kurtz mauser in that the front receiver ring is same diameter as the sidewall of the action. The seller says it is a 98 mauser in 8x57 but is not sure of that either. What 98 mausers had the real small receiver ring like the short action but would accommodate a 7 or 8 x57 length shell??? Would it indeed be a 98 vs other mauser?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kar98/Danzig 1912 that is the small ring/large shank barrel. It may be one of those.

baokie

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what caliber is yours and do you have pictures?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Polish Radom?

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
33/40 for one, passed one up in 9.3x57 at a steal, still kicking myself, didn't how scarce it was at the time. it should be marked as such with the left rail relieved to reduce wght. --- John303.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those I think are small ring actions. There is a step up from the left sidewall to the front receiver ring. The one I am talking about is completely flat along the receiver. Just like the Mexican Mauser action 1910, 1936 models. I have a Polish Radom action in 7x57.

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures of the Kar98 as I purchased it.

Hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks. Is yours for sale?

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
square shooter - PM Sent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many WW1 Mausers made at the Danzig and Erfurt arsenals were made with small rings and large threads. Many folks consider them to be somewhat softer than the usual large ring 98s, similar to the earlier small ring models of 1893 & 1895. IMO they make fine custom sporters.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LB, don't know if you are confused or if I am by what you are asking but the Mexican mauser is a 98. It does not have to be a large ring to be a 98. There again, you may have known that.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chick, how was the guild show this year. My team was in the national playoff (GO SOONERS!) and I could not go to Reno. How are you doing? About the small ring normal action, I have a couple of Mexican mausers but they are shorter in length than a standard 98. I guess the thrust of my inquire was, can a small ring 98 of standard length withstand the pressure of a 270 or 9.3x62???

square shooter