New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding Browning A-Bolt II ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently acquired a Browning A-Bolt II in 7mm-08. It is a nice synthetic stocked Stainless Stalker. I've bedded the recoil lug area with AcraGlass Gel and it worked fine. To get a stress free action you would need to let the action rest in the bedding with no screws. The problem is the rear action where the screw threads into the action nut has a thin piece of metal that keeps this nut from turning. The metal strip is bent in such a was as to be tensioned when the action screw is tightened. How can you rest the action is bedding material with this flat strip under the rear of the action? Can I just leave the thin metal keeper out?
Any ideas?
Thanks
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in input on this as well. My Browning is very similar to yours. Acts like it is under some tension on the factory recoil lug bed job. Most are supposed to shoot pretty well but my specimen is fussy.

Posts: 92 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I did, and it seems to work fine, is to remove the factory bedding at the recoil lug with a dremel tool. Taking out enough material to bed back to the mag cutout and (1/4") as much of the barrel forward as possible in the synthetic stock. Making sure you have plenty of space around the recoil lug area. Then use some sort of shim to hold the front of the action where it needs to be. Apply bedding compound and lay the action in. I tightened the rear action screw with the little flat keeper on the nut in place. That seemed to give the best no-stress bedding, as it compresses the little flat keeper and keeps the action where it will be when the gun is assembled. Make sure to remove the surface of the stock where no bedding was before, or it will not stick. Besides the rough edge will give better surface to hold to.
It worked for me and now it's no trick to get 1/2" 100 yard groups.

[ 06-20-2003, 16:21: Message edited by: Bobby ]