New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm Remington - short or long action ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can a Rem 700 short action be use to chamber this cartridge. I have read that the parent case was the 7X57 unlike the 243win 308win parent case.

Posts: 147 | Location: SW Wash | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, came as a short action from Remington Russ

Posts: 154 | Location: IA | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think to take full advantage of the bullet selection, it needs to be a long action.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 244 had an advantage over the 243 in that it was built on a 57mm long case instead of a 51mm. this allowed slower burning powders like 4831, but in a short action some of this advantage is lost because you have to seat the bullet so deep

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a short action factory Ruger & short action Remington 700. No problems with the
6 mm Rem in a short ation. Would prefer a
long action in the 257 Roberts in bullet weights over 100 gr.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullets are available to 115 grns in 6mm. I guess it depends on your use.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the only reason to go with a long action is that the standard 6MM Rem has a long throat. You can't get the bullet anywhere near the lands and still have them fit the magazine. Other than that the cartridge has a long neck and normal 6MM bullets aren't that long. If you are going to use VLD's maybe the long action is an advantage. I don't know about that because all I use is hunting bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I think to take full advantage of the bullet selection, it needs to be a long action.
Butch

Yes.
I have a Rem 722 in 244, and it's a short action.
But, if I were going for a new one, I'd get a long action, or an Intermediate length at a minimum.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
If using "varmint" weight bullets of 80 grains and under, then actions with a magazine of about 2.8" work fine and allow you to seat the bullet as far out as practical. If using primarily 100 grain or heavier bullets, then a longer magazine is helpful but not essential.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Rem SA modified to work with the Wyatt extended magazine box. I was going to do a 6mm Rem on that action but had a 22 barrel already and went with a 22-250. Anyway, I can fit a 6mm Remington cartridge loaded with a Barnes 85gr TSX with no problems at all and the bullet is seated pretty shallow. My opinion is that it will work, if you modify it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 700 BDL and a Ruger 77V in 6mm. One of my brother has a M700 BDL also. I have loaded for and shot all 3 a good bit. I bought the Ruger for it's slightly longer magazine. After 3 decades have gone by I don't see much use for a magazine longer than the factory 700. All the of the bullets I have tried have been very accurate when seated to fit the magazine even though the pointy ones have a little jump. At the most I would just get a M700 magazine lengthened at the back. That would add about .150 to the 2.830 magazine length.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Velocity is not king-Call & Dope are!!!

Chamber a fast twist 6BR & push the heavies into bug holes in the wind.

Your barrel will last significantly longer & cycle through a 2.80" mag box/Short action.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 426 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote