Find
Notify
Tools

3-pos safety for my ZG 47?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,
I've made some of the necessary decisions for my new custom ZG 47 now. It will be a 9.3x64 with Blackburn bottom metal and trigger, the 1" mounts from Talley should be on their way aswell (The Swarovski 3-9x36 is already in my safe.)
Now I need to make a decision on the safety, I wanted to have a three position safety from Jim Wisner but I havn't been able to get in touch with him yet. I tried to send him a mail, but so far no response What are my other options? I do know that at least Dakota, Recknagel and Gentry makes this kind of safetys but what should I choose?

All suggestions are welcome

Regards
Henrik

Posts: 81 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Hi

Anything that fits a standard mauser 98 will fit your ZG-47. I would go for the recknagel

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Not sure why you want to replace the safety and bottom metal. Those are two of the desireable features of the ZG-47. If you do, I'll buy them from you. I'll buy the old barrel too if you take it off. Please email me.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn! I was going to offer to buy that bottom metal, too, I gotta get up earlier in the a.m.

To use a 3 pos. safety, you will need a new cocking piece, as well, not a big problem. I strongly recommend Gentry or Wisner and Gentry safeties are already blued.

A friend of mine had a 9.3x64 built on a fine commercial Mauser and, at my suggestion, used a Wisner dropbox for belted mag. rounds. This, with a bit of tweaking by Martini of Martini&Hagn gives him 5 shots down with one up.

I would replace the bottom metal too, as you can only fit 3 rounds of 9.3 in thhe factory one and re-building those is less effective than one from Ted, Jim or Andy at SunnyHill, I have products from all of these folks and they are all good.

BTW, I meant to tell you that you can get your 30mm rings from Warne, I just found this out. I have used Warnes for about 12 yrs. w/o any serious complaint and the new ones seem better than my old ones, although I prefer Talleys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Henrik,

I am having a EAW 3 position safety fitted to my .404 J which is being built on a 1909 Argentine.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
we'll see what parts will be for sale once the project is finished
The reason I'm changing the safety is because it works the "wrong" way for me, but I really like the safety apart from that.
I have a set on Warne 30 mm ring on order aswell, but from what I've seen so far I really prefer Talley's rings.

And Johan, I'm well aware that any mod 98 safety will work on my Brno

Henrik

Posts: 81 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote