New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing barrel to different caliber?
 Login/Join

<Ranger Dave>
posted
I own a Winchester M70 push feed Ranger 30-06. I was thinking of changing it to a 270 or to a 25-06. Is it possible? Is it worth it(price)?
I have a 300 Win Mag already and I don't own a light kicking rifle for deer/target shooting.

<Jeff in ND>
posted
Yes, it is possible(rather straight forward). Nothing a good smith couldn't handle. Feeding should not be an issue if you stay with one of the 30-06 off-spring (25-06, 6.5-06, 270, 280, 338-06, 35 Whelen).
I would expect to pay ~$150.00 plus the cost of the barrel ($69.00 for the cheap ones which I would not recommend up to $300.00+ for the upper end match barrels). More it you have any action work done at the same time.

As to worth it, that all depends on what you are after. It will likely be less expensive to trade the rifle on one in the caliber you want.

On the other hand, you could have a Match grade barrel fitted and chambered and any necessary actions work done done and in all likely hood end up with a really good shooting rifle.

Good Hunting
Jeff in ND

<Sparticus>
posted
Go and have it done!!! .243Win or .260Rem. I have a .243Win, that I did myself. An I must say, I love it I have a 30.06, but, to be able to shoot and stay on target is a huge confidence builder. Less recoil, slightly less noise and a awesome coyote gun. The push feed Win. would be a piece of cake. JUST DO IT... mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5-06 would be really nice.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Lee S. Forsberg>
posted
I vote for 6.5x06.

------------------
LSF/375

<Ranger Dave>
posted
For that price I could buy a black shadow M70. Thanks for the input guys.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
R. Dave, I did this same change except in 338-06. I had the lugs laped, receiver trued,bolt face squared,new barrel, and everything blued including the scope rings. Cost was $320 plus shipping. This rifle shoots 5-338 bullets into 3/4". Which for a HUNTING rifle ain't bad. E.R.Shaw did all the work.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Ranger Dave,

What are you after? For a varmint through deer and occational elk, you would be hard pressed to better the 6.5X06. It's a hum-dinger.

-Catter

------------------
Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and and practice , practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ranger Dave, have your 'smith check around for take off barrels. With a little luck, you should be able to go to a 25-06 or 270 for less than $200-250 can. 6.5-06 being a wildcat will cost more. I think it's a better choice, though. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you ever want to sell the rifle, you will find the .270 would sell the quickest.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote