THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    will a M24/47 mauser action work for a 416 taylor?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

will a M24/47 mauser action work for a 416 taylor?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
I saw a special on a M24/47 mauser at Big 5 Sporting goods.

Would this work for a 416 Taylor?

If it can be done, what changes would need to be done?

Are there any other available Mauser actions (Military or commercial) that would work better??

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saw those too, but I am afraid the 24 action is the short 98 action, and probably unsuitable for the Taylor. Someone else who knows their Mausers will correct me if I am wrong.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16630 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
The 24/47 is an intermediate length Mauser action. Any round that is as long as the Taylor is probably too long for the 24/47. It can be done but it is a PITA.
A large ring long Mauser action like the 98/22, VZ-24, K98 or a similar Mauser long action would be a better choice.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info - it was too good a deal not to at least research.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I have a 24/47. It is a very good rifle. Very accurate. 8x57 Mauser is a pretty decent round and there is lots of milsurp ammo around. Easy round to handload as well. Makes a great bumming around rifle.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote