THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmiths, M70 suddenly shooting 3" higher!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I took the action out of the stock to adjust the trigger, got the trigger where I wanted, remounted action into the stock torking the screws at 65" pounds. When I fired it at the range yesterday, POA was 3" higher with identical load.
Is this a common occurence?
Is there a specific sequence to torking the screws holding the action in place? Like front to rear or rear to front or middle out? [Confused]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the M 70's I tighten the front screw some and then turn in the other two loose then tighten up the front screw. I leave the middle screw just finger tight to almost loose and then tighten up the rear screw tight on most of my 70's. On some where the bedding is so so I leave the rear screw with moderate tension.

With the plastic stock M 70 that I just got the screws won't stay tight. It seems Locktite is next for them.

As you tighten the rear tang screw watch the barrel and see if is raises up in the barrel channel. If it does then the rear bedding is not secure and must be delt with in some manner.

Don't tighten the middle screw much.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes there is a sequence, and you DON'T tork the middle screw at all. Front then tang, then middle. It is just tightened enough to keep it in place. Make sure you got the magazine box in right side up, too. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99 & KuDude;
Thanks-a-bunch guys! [Cool]
There was an ever so slight shift when I followed your directions.
Again,
Thank you
MM

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do these tips can fit to a Ruger M77 II too? Thanks - Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger 77's are whole different senerio, Maybe one of the Gunsmiths will jump in here and help you out! I've got an early 77-tang safety type, in 220 Swift Varmint barrel, that is one finicky puppy. [Wink]

[ 02-20-2003, 20:22: Message edited by: Marsh Mule ]