New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning "saltgun"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In reading about some of the old Browning Safaris, I've seen some of them referred to a "saltguns."

Does anyone know what this is referring to?

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning once tried to speed the wood curing process by applying salt to the stocks. The moisture was absorbed, but the salt remained in the wood and later caused the assembled rifles to rust below the woodline.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Any idea how bad this was on the average gun? Are these strict "non-buyers" to be avoided, or just require additional care?

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
As the salt leeches out of the wood, the metal of the gun becomes very etched. I have a saltwood gun, but have stayed on top of things by sealing the inside of the wood with Varathane every couple years. 30+ years later this rifle has but one pit on the metal

I have seen some rifles that were totally screwed by this. For example, a "new in the box" 30-06 Safari Rifle that the metal is totally pitted and etched. At a local gun show this rifle was for sale at $400. I doubt if they got a buyer.

It's a classic example of "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
"Saltwood" Brownings were made from California Claro blanks that were first sold to a furniture maker in Brazil. Many high grade Brownings used the bad wood and the resulting warrantee claims (and an import tax problem) nearly bankrupted Browning Arms. For about four years Browning was having to replace nearly half of the high grade O/Us made...either replacing stocks and refinishing the metal, or having to replace whole guns.

In the early '70s I saw Midas grade O/Us that were totally destroyed by salt......one Olympian .375 was eaten to the point of the receiver being held together only by the nickle plating.

Examine ANY Browning gun made in between '69 and '73 very closely where the metal touches the wood......like at the rear tang. *Most* times you can see the pitting, but NOT always. It's best to take them apart to really look close.

Salt wood Brownings are usually half price or less.