Notify
Tools

Help with recoil pad choice
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
Hi All,

For years I've been grinding my own recoil pads, mostly on shotguns, and really like the Kick Eez pads. While I think they're great at sucking up recoil, they don't last real long.

Recently I needed to extending the LOP on a hunting rifle so I added some spacers and a new recoil pad. Since this rifle doesn't kick much I figured I'd use a pad that would last longer than a Kick Eez. I remembered good things about the Decelerators.

Since it's a full sized rifle I got the large Decelerator. Just as I was grinding it down to the right contour I broke through to the steel frame on the side. So I ordered the medium size in the same Decelerator and just ground it this evening. While it was barely big enough to get the right angles on the toe and heel - I still broke through to the steel on the side on my final contour. This is ridiculous.

The small size Decelerator won't fit (and I wonder if the steel frame is still too wide anyway).

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a pad that will last a long time, but doesn't have that stupid internal metal frame of misery? I'd like it to be black and about 3/4" thick.

Thanks,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hogue.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Pachmayer Decellerator pads exclusively. You have a problem. I think Pachmayer makes a pad that don't have the steel plate in there but I am not usre of that and the only advice I can offer is as follows, sorry if not the answer you are looking for.

In the past, I have run into the same problem with grinding through to the steel. After many failed attempts I took one of the trashed ones and took it down to nothing but the insert. Now I have three different sizes of insert to ensure that I use the correct width pad. If you look in the Brownell's catalog, you can get the correct starting length of the different pads. This can save you a bunch of money. They may also be able to get the specs on the correct, no insert, pad.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a Galazan period correct pad, no steel insert and they work fine. You need to like orange though....

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I only use Decelerators . Only ground through one; after that I do what JK does; one of the sizes will fit unless you have a really skinny butt. Stock butt I mean.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second the choice of Galazan either "correct period" or "Thin solid"

Quit using decelerator yrs ago.

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use mostly Decelerators as well. Like Jim I've removed the metal insert from the three sizes of pads and use them as a guide to determine which size pad I will need for a particular stock as well as layout. I believe Pachmayr will sell these metal pieces. Probably cheaper than ruining three different pads like I did. Smiler

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've used Decelerators (never ground through one), NECG (like the slide off/on snap fit), Galazan, Hogue, and Kick-Eez

All have pros, cons. Put a Kick-eez on my daughter's 35 Whelen, putting one my 458 WM redo next.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of grinding templates that I got from Brownells years ago. If the template fits, you won't grind through the pad.

https://www.brownells.com/sear...+templates&ksubmit=y

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the advice. I didn't even think of Hogue. They've always been big supporters of the charity fund-raiser shoots I put on. I've known the family for over 30 years and their factory is just two miles from my office. I shoot their handgun grips almost exclusively - but forgot about their grind to fit recoil pads. They've got a well stocked little pro shop if you're ever passing through the area. Nice folks.

Their pad worked perfectly and they'll be my choice for that type of pad from now on.

I'm done with the "Hidden Frames of Frustration".

Thanks,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote